Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with ODBC when publishing site

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwatty

IS-IT--Management
Aug 3, 2001
GB
Hi,

Me again. I have just published a site to the web and everything was fine until I went to test the only bit of ASP on the site. I have a search facility that had been working like a dream when on our internal web server. When I try to use the search function on thye web I get the following error

ADODB.Recordset.1 error '80004005'

SQLState: IM002
Native Error Code: 0
[INTERSOLV][ODBC lib] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

/search/results.asp, line 10

I understand that this is something to do with the way my DSN is set up, but I have had a look through soem documentation and can't seem to get a simple answer as to what I need to change in order for the search application to access the data in my database.

"Please help me, I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am"

you need either the dsn set up on the remote host or use a dsn-less connection. Nice little tutorial here The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

Hi Cheech,

I've tried to create a dsn-less connection following the tutorial in UltraDev, before I venture into the realms of trying the tutorial you recommend, is there something fundamental I am doing wrong. After trying the search utility with the dsn-less connection I got the following error.

Microsoft VBScript compilation error '800a0401'

Expected end of statement

../Connections/remotesupport.asp, line 7

MM_remotesupport_STRING = DBQ="Server.MapPath("/web/tmssupport.mdb")"
------------------------------------------------------------------^

The ftp instructions I have got from my ISP instruct me to upload all files directly to the /web folder. In Ultradev I have specified the URL prefix as
Any ideas?

"please help me, I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am"

HI there,

If you create a new file and cut and paste the code below into the empty page, save it as serverpath.asp and load it into the root of your web space. Then go to your browser and type in the URL to that file, i.e.

a single line will be reported back, this is your server path for your root.
If you then create a new connection file of the sort:
"Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=[filepathfromabove]\database.mdb" and create a new custom string in UD, that should get you running.

Let us know how you get on.

M "There are 3 kinds of people; those that can count and those that can't"

HI there,

If you create a new file and cut and paste the code below into the empty page, save it as serverpath.asp and load it into the root of your web space. Then go to your browser and type in the URL to that file, i.e.

CODE:
<%@LANGUAGE=&quot;VBscript&quot;%>

<html>
<head>
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<meta http-equiv=&quot;Content-Type&quot; content=&quot;text/html; charset=iso-8859-1&quot;>
</head>

<body bgcolor=&quot;#FFFFFF&quot;>
<p>this is your servermappath: <%= Server.MapPath(&quot;\&quot;) %> </p>

</body>
</html>

a single line will be reported back, this is your server path for your root.
If you then create a new connection file of the sort:
&quot;Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=[filepathfromabove]\database.mdb&quot; and create a new custom string in UD, that should get you running.

Let us know how you get on.

M &quot;There are 3 kinds of people; those that can count and those that can't&quot;

Hi M,

Thanks for your replies, I must be doing something very simple very wrong. I used the method above to get the server path for the root and then on the search results page I created a new custom connection string (right so far?) and used the code DBQ=&quot;Server.MapPath(/home/sites/site335/web/tmssupport.mdb&quot;)&quot; in the connection string.

This created a connections include file with the following code

<%
' FileName=&quot;Connection_ado_conn_string.htm&quot;
' Type=&quot;ADO&quot;
' HTTP=&quot;true&quot;
' Catalog=&quot;&quot;
' Schema=&quot;&quot;
MM_support_STRING = DBQ=&quot;Server.MapPath(/home/sites/site335/web/tmssupport.mdb&quot;)&quot;
%>

I have uploaded this to the ISP and when I try the search utility I get the following error message

Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0126'

Include file not found

/search/results.asp, line 2

The include file '/home/sites/site335/web/search/../Connections/remotesupport.asp' was not found.

I appear to be going around in circles. This is the first time I have published a site with any ASP aspect to a commercial ISP. I am aware that in theory it may be a simple concept but I have a feeling I can't see the wood for the trees!

&quot;please help me I'm somewhere, where I don't know where I am&quot;

Desperate Red :-(

home/sites/site335/web/search/../Connections/remotesupport.asp'

is awefully huge.

try

<!--#include file=&quot;Connections/remostesupport.asp&quot; -->

&quot;am I a star?&quot;

Stuart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor