Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with NT 4.0 Clients logging onto Windows 2K server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marg57

MIS
Jun 4, 2003
CA
I'm having a problem getting NT 4.0 Workstations to log on a Windows 2000 Server. I installed dsclient and joined the domain. I can ping the server using Host name or IP. The only thing I can't do is log on. I keep getting an error that "The system cannot log you on now because the domain CITY is not available." When I look in Event viewer there is an Event ID: 5719.

The Windows 2000 Server is set to Native Mode which I don't see as a problem because we only have Windows 2000 Servers. I only have 4 NT 4.0 workstations that need to log on. I would upgrade to Windows 2000 Pro but the software they run isn't compatible with Windows 2000.

What do I need to do to get these machines working?

quoted form Event ID 5719 - The system cannot log you on now because the domain "name" is not available."
Symptoms: when attempting to logon a domain, you keep getting an error that &quot;The system cannot log you on now because the domain &quot;name&quot; is not available.&quot; Also, Event viewer shows Event ID: 5719. No Windows NT or Windows 2000 Domain Controller is available for domain <domain name>. The following error occurred: There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.

Resolutions: One possible cause of this error is that you have run out of buffer space in the NetBT datagram buffer. To resolve this problem, increase the MaxDgramBuffering value from 128 KB to 256 KB. Run Regedt32.exe, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following information:

Value Name: MaxDgramBuffering
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 0x40000

For more information, go to

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network and How to at

You mentioned that fact that you are running in native mode. It is my understanding that you can only run in native mode if you have Windows 2000 boxes on your network. If you have any legacy clients, (Windows NT, 98, etc), it is best to run in mixed mode. (Once in Native mode, you cannot change back to mixed mode)

Do I make the registry entry on the Workstation? If so, that didn't solve the problem.

As to running in Native mode, everything I have read tells me that running legacy clients is possible. Besides it's too late now to go back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back