Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with Nortel VPN and Linksys BEFW11S4 v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimesy

Technical User
Jan 29, 2003
GB
I'm unable to connect to my company network with company issued Nortel VPN client (V04_65.09) through my Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router (firmware 1.43.3z ETSI, Nov 27 2002).

The VPN works fine if I use a direct cable connection to my cable modem (i.e. don't use the router at all).

Looking at the client VPN log file it looks to have authenticated and connected OK, then 'checks for banner text' and drops the connection.

I've been trawling through the forums here and have seen lots of suggestions for tweaking various options on the router. I've pretty much tried all sorts of combinations and have wasted a lot of time on this.

I orginally had a d-link 614+ that wouldn't work, so I swapped it for the Linksys when I heard that people had got this to work ok.

So, if anyone out there has managed to get this router working with a VPN (Nortel or otherwise), please could you let me know what options you have configured on the router to get it work.

Many thanks....

I've just found out that Nortel has added a EACfilt driver with the 4.6 codebase of the client.
If you go to your network connection and disable the EACfilt driver, it should work for you.

Thanks tdub95... I tried it... didn't work I'm afraid.

The support guys at work have just told me that they got the same router to work without the need for any tweaks... hmmm... not sure about that.

Will keep trying though...

In the meantime, if anyone has any more suggestions I'd be pleased to try them.

Thanks

OK figured it out now.... I'm also running Norton Internet Security on my PC and the IP address of the Nortel IPSEC Network adapter was being blocked.

So, in order to get the VPN to work I need to register the IP address of the Network adapater with NIS.

I didn't need to have any port forwarding or triggering etc. The Linksys router WILL work straigh out of the box (in fact I actually did a hard reset to ensure that this is the case).

It's still a bit strange though... if I don't use the router I don't need to make any tweaks to NIS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back