Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with NIS 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxCracker

IS-IT--Management
Apr 25, 2005
US
I need to know how to fully uninstall NIS 2005. I have deleted the reg keys, temp, common and the program files. And still there are dlls running in the processes. How do I safely stop and remove the dlls? Is there a spy-ware free program that will remove background programs/processes from running?

I am assuming that you tried uninstalling through add/remove programs, and it failed? There is a utility called RnisUPG.exe that you can download from Symantec's website that is supposed to remove it when add/remove fails. That said, I don't know that it deletes all dlls. If it removes the registry references, then they are just taking up a little space on your h/d.

If you know the names of the dlls, and they are still active, you can use regsvr32 /u dll_name to unregister it from a command prompt, and that should allow you to delete it, but you might have to do it from safe mode.

Don't know of a tool that will allow you to remove background programs/processes, but a good one for finding out what is running is ProcessExplorer from - it is free, and it is one of the few that will show you all the dlls running under each instance of svchost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back