Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with networker client under Netware

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloner

IS-IT--Management
Dec 16, 2002
DE
Hi to all

in our environment ( W2KServer with Legato 6.2 ) and Netwareclients ( Version 4.21, 4.2 ) on a Server Netware 5.1 SP5 we have the following Problem
when we want to do an Filerecover of big Directories ( in our case 100 - 200 GB ) the Markingtime will take more than 24 Hours sometimes it brakes up . A Reccover in a Weekend isn´t able to do

can somebody help me ????

Cloner

Hi cloner,

there can be many reasons for your problem:

- do you have enough ram in your NetworkerServer?
- do you have enough processor performance?
- for marking the files, it doesn't matter how much gb you want to recover, but how many files
- are there many incremental backups between the actual and the last full backup? (networker has built an index within all index files since last full backup)

cu

harald

Hi,

yes the marking is very slow on NetWare clients with many files, we have the same problem.
Legato has to redesign the client, but like every other company they say that NetWare is dead (what they say since several years now and we have still x TB on NetWare).
Have you tried a saveset recovery? There you don´t lost the time for marking.

Hope Legato is working on a new NetWare client, but I haven´t heard of anything now.

Have a nice day
Stefan

We have been dealing with this recently and finally we have a response from Legato on how to estimate the required time for a selective restore as well as a work-around.

The work-around is to create multiple smaller save-sets so a save-set restore is possible on major sub-components of a single filesystem. IE. we now break our \users\ subdirectory structure every 5 letters (a-e, f-j, k-o, etc)

It takes us 29 hours to mark all files on our 108G volume. The volume contains ~14.2 Million files. This number agrees with the benchmark they have below, and shows that mark time is related to number of files/folders, not size directly.

The information below is quoted directly from my email from legato regarding how long it takes to mark files.
LGTpa54160 is an internal Bug Tracking ID referring to this problem.

&quot;I also determine and providing it only for your reference an unofficial bench mark for marking restored files is about 7ms+/- 10% per file. The tests were done (all platforms) in a reasonable client index size environment (<4GB) with sufficient amount of memory (physical) and CPU power in both client and server.

I will keep you update about any progress made under LGTpa54160 and as soon as any hot fix released by Engineering, I will pass on to you for evaluation.&quot;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back