Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems with network card

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexealas

Technical User
Feb 28, 2007
US
Hello to all,
I have a windows XP 64 bit system having issues when it's plugged to the network. The computer has 2 quad-processors and 4 GB RAM, 200 GB SCSI hard drive and a 10/100/1000 Broadcom network card. Since a week ago the owner has complained about slow performance whenever he tries to run any application. He is a developer so I thought he might be the cause of the issue but we have been eliminating variables (Antivirus, Firewall, etc) until we narrow it to the network card. Whenever we disable the card the system runs fine. As soon as we enable it back the problems start. When the card was enable I ran a netdiag diagnostic but all came back as normal. Also there are not visible error in the eventlog that could explain the behavior, I kinda scratching my head to figure it out why the slow performance. I will try to delete the card and re-install it tomorrow. Also I will run a hardware diagnostic to find out if the card is in healthy state. If somebody had foght a situation similar to mine and know how to fix it or work around; please I will appreciate if you can send your input on how you fix the problem.
Thanks in advance for your help,
Alex

Does the performance problem persist through a system reboot? Have you tried updating your NIC driver, as well as other system drivers?

A client of mine experienced the very same thing. The Network card was causing great slowness in the system when it was active.

After a long time he bought a new one with 64 bit compatible drivers and the problem went away.

At the end we realized the drivers being used where normal 32 bit ones, and I guess that did not sit well with the 64 bit OS.

Not sure if its the case with your card, but its worth a check.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back