Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with network adaptors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssga

Technical User
Jun 21, 2002
ZA
I have two windows 98 first edition PCs linked directly using a x-over cable. They have been working perfectly all the time and they no longer connect to each other. I can ping each PCs network adaptor from its self but can't ping machine one from machine two or the other way round. My friend tells me there's a CMOS setting that can prevent the network adaptor from holding a connection is this true. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Peer to peer networks such as this in Win 98 have a habit of being unstable. The first thing I always do is uninstall / remove ALL networking components, including the NIC drivers, protocols etc from both systems and then reinstall from scratch. This sounds like a big deal but in actual fact is extremely simple and quick. Of course you must have the drivers for the NICs and a Win 98 CD. I find this fixes the problem in the majority of cases All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Very first thing: replace the cable.

Some times watching the NIC LEDs is useful. Remember a Ping requires both directions so it only takes one broken wire, but the LEDs will tell you if the NIC gets input, if a LED comes on when you plug the cable in.

You can always ping yourself, even with no network connection.

And as NICs age and timings change any problems related to different manufacturers get worse. You might want to make sure you have NICs from the same manufacturer. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

thanx guys but i've had my cable tested and it works perfectly and both machines can ping then selves even with the cable disconnected. Both NICs display a green led when i plug the cable in. When i try to ping the other machine the orange led flashes but the is no response. Would it just be easier to try coaxial. Rather the using x-over cables [pc]

As i understand it, you use the same cable before(X-cable) and it connects perfectly?... and now the connection problems arise?

If your reply to my questions are all positive then:
1. Your network cards,your cable,configurations are OK (before)

(The "network cards manufacturer issue" should be dropped off.)

2.Try reinstalling the drivers and set it up as before (remove first the old ones)

3. Check also the cable. Should it be replaced?

4. Are your cards still okay? Try swapping it with the one you know is working.

5. As a last resort, re-install your OS.

The ability of a machine to ping itself is just showing that the loopback IP device , 127.0.0.1, is working. It means that the packet goes through the protocol to the client and back - it does not mean that the packet is necessarily going out to a network.

If you please I would recommend starting by rebuilding the network stack. There is only one way to force Windows to rebuild it completely without errors - and it is not the commonly known way. Have the drivers for the NIC handy just in case:

Start the computer in Safe Mode, go into Control Panel / Network and remove everything. Do not reboot when asked.

Go into Control Panel / Add-Remove Programs / Windows Setup / Communications and uncheck Dial Up Networking, Dial Up Server and Vitural Private Networking if you have them installed. Now reboot.

The computer will rediscover all hardware. Do not reboot when asked. Go into Control Panel / Network and Control Panel / Add-Remove Programs / Communications (both areas if need be), install and properly configure all network components that you need. Now reboot.

Does WINIPCFG show that the set IP's are on the same segment? (That is, are the first 3 tuples the same? If one is 192.163.0.1 then set the other to 192.163.0.whatever). Is the IP mask the same?

Are you trying to ping using host names or IP addresses? If using hostsnames then the HOSTS or LMHOSTS files may have incorrect entries. Check. Your mileage may vary...

You could also totally forget building the network on TCP / IP and go IPX / NETBIOS. IPX has much less overhead than TCP so you'll find faster throughput, not to mention that if configured correctly it is incredibly more secure when you log on to the internet.

See my opinion on the best, most secure way to configure Windows with both IPX for intranet and TCP for internet services:

in the Microsoft Windows 95/98 forum:
Win 98 & win98ME network using ethernet and Network Neighborhood, dated 6/13/02. Your mileage may vary...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back