Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with netsend

Status
Not open for further replies.

beangrower

Technical User
May 1, 2003
US
Hi,

I'm in a company with about 50 mixed up OS workstations. There is this one computer ( so far ) in my network where I am not able to send NET SEND messages to it. However, it can send messages to me or anyone else. Other computers can't NET SEND this computer also. Anyone know what's wrong?? I tried, rebooting, stoping and restarting services, updating, patching, restarting cpu.

here's an example of how it look like via cmd.exe:

Z:\>net send wkstn30 "Wo!
An error occurred while sending a message to WKSTN30.

anyone??

Try sending a message using the IP Address of the destination computer instead of wkstn30. If this is successfull than you need to make sure that this computer is properly configured to recognize dynamic name updates and register itself with DNS and/or WINS.

yeah,

I also tried that and got the same results.
Anyone know what else it could be?

take it this workstation is running NT/2k/XP?

if so, you are sure the machine's messenger service is running all the time? (like can the user stop the service/would they to prevent messages?)

Most any firewall would block the net send message - including xp's built-in firewall.

yes, infact the station I use to get to the other station(windowsxp) is also running Windows XP Pro. If you stopped the services...wouldn't you not be able to send messages also. This station(WKSTN30) can send messages but can't receive any. I'll have to go look into the firewall scenario. I doubt it's that though. I pretty sure it was disabled. Lemme check...

Check the computers services and make sure MSMSGS is started.

yeah, MSMGS services has been started. There are two computers that can net send the problematic comp however, it takes like 2-3 minutes for the message to go through...if it does. And firewall is disabled. I luv cumputers :p ...

beangrower,

Net send uses Netbios services. The problem machine may not have Netbios enabled, may be blocking the Messenger service, may have a firewall that blocks Netbios traffic, or may be behind a router that blocks Netbios traffic.

There is a discussion here, at times confusing, of how to use net send.
thread581-207430 are two very good links in that discussion. One shows how to use net send with a list of users, and the other is to this Gui Interface that is quite nifty on my XP machine:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back