Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with mysqldump

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisMacPherson

Programmer
Jul 3, 2000
GB
Hi All,

I have been using mysqldump for a while now, but have just come across a problem.

I am using the mysqldump program from PHP to dump the database into a file. This works fine.

I then try to feed that sql from the file back into mysql to recreate the database, like a backup procedure. This produces an error.

When I look at the dumped database file it looks like this which I have never seen before:

Code:
/*!40101 SET @OLD_CHARACTER_SET_CLIENT=@@CHARACTER_SET_CLIENT */;
/*!40101 SET @OLD_CHARACTER_SET_RESULTS=@@CHARACTER_SET_RESULTS */;
/*!40101 SET @OLD_COLLATION_CONNECTION=@@COLLATION_CONNECTION */;
/*!40101 SET NAMES utf8 */;
/*!40103 SET @OLD_TIME_ZONE=@@TIME_ZONE */;
/*!40103 SET TIME_ZONE='+00:00' */;
/*!40014 SET @OLD_UNIQUE_CHECKS=@@UNIQUE_CHECKS, UNIQUE_CHECKS=0 */;
/*!40014 SET @OLD_FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=@@FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS, FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=0 */;
/*!40101 SET @OLD_SQL_MODE=@@SQL_MODE, SQL_MODE='NO_AUTO_VALUE_ON_ZERO' */;
/*!40111 SET @OLD_SQL_NOTES=@@SQL_NOTES, SQL_NOTES=0 */;
DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `chc_areainfo`;
CREATE TABLE `example_table` (
  `foo` varchar(25) NOT NULL default '',
  `bar` text NOT NULL,
I only show the top as it is the code at the top that is causing the error:

Code:
MySQL Error : 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '; /*!40101 SET @OLD_CHARACTER_SET_RESULTS=@@CHARACTER_SET_RESULTS */; /*!40101' at line 7

I ahve been trying to work out how to get rid of the stange lines at the top of the dumped file (i.e '/*!40101') but cant work out how.

I know these lines are for compatibility with other mysql versions.

This is all part of an automatic script to alter a database so I would not just be able to edit the sql file manually to remove these error causing lines.

Any help would be appreciated, cant find much help elsewhere!

Chris MacPherson

I can't understand why you're getting a syntax error there; it looks perfectly normal. The syntax "/*!40101 ... */" is treated as a comment except by MySQL 4.1.1 (40101) or later, which executes the embedded SQL. Has the file been edited in some way?

You might be able to use the -f option in the mysql command, which forces execution to continue even after a SQL error.

hi, thanks for quick reply.

No the sql hasn't been changed in any way. I am running version 4.1.7.

I have actually tried to complete my solution using a different path now (which I should probably have been using anyway) because I cant find any information on this problem.

Instead of dumping the database, performing tasks and then recreating it on any errors, I have converted all my tables to innodb and am using a transaction. MUCH easier.

I think that -f option might have been useful though, I did read about that, but didn't think to use it though.

Chris MacPherson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back