Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with my own inability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

YngNetAdmn

IS-IT--Management
Dec 30, 2002
US
Hi,
Im in charge of a small network at a retail furniture store. I am in desperate need of help. I have no formal trainging in computers and yet I manage this network. My problem is setting up remote access. My current setup is...
SPRINT DSL ZXYEL ROUTER
||
\/
CISCO PIX FIREWALL (515 I think)
||
\/
KINGSTON HUB (24 PORT)
||
\/
(1) WIN2k ADV SVR
(17) WIN2k PRO WRKSTSNS
(3) LANREADY PRINTER SERVERS

The firewall routes internet request while SQL requests go directly to the WIN2k server. Server has one purpose, running SQL server. If anyone! could give me any help as to a better layout or how to route to a VPN or something along those lines, just so I can connect remotely, it would be worth so much when they died and went to heaven:)
(we have static ip through the sprint dsl)
Please let me know whatever you can.
Thanks,
Andrew

If all you need is your own connection to work on the server remotely, and given your current level of experience, the quickest thing might be to load gotomypc.com on the server.

Otherwise you could grant dial-in permission to a user profile and work with a remote technology such as VNC ( or use the Windows native terminal services - each of which will require you to use skills you may have to educate yourself to use securely. Good luck!

Windows 2000 Advanced Server allows for RAS or remote access server with radius authentication. The problem with that is that you have to allow for however many users that many be dialing into the server, if you have 30 users dialing into the server, obviously you dont have 30 PCI cards, but cisco has certain routers that hold that many slots for modem cards, its an expensive solution but it would work. You could also do a VPN, with the cisco PIX firewall it offers VPN services i believe. Which would allow your users to dial into their home ISP's and then launch the VPN app and gain access to your LAN. You will want to research this further with the VPN and cisco products.

Some reading:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back