Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with MONTH() function in VBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougpeplow

Programmer
Feb 1, 2000
FR
I have a variable holding a date, in the format "dd/mm/yy"
The functions day() and Year() work fine when applied to this variable, but month() doesn't

example code:-

Dim MyDate as Date
Dim MyMonth as Integer
MyDate = 02/03/01
MyMonth = Month(MyDate) ' MyMonth should return 3 but a "Type Mismatch" error occurrs.

Please Help

Do you have quotes around the date? My system sees the date in the format mm/dd/yy when translating the variable.

Sub Test
Dim MyDate As Date
Dim MyMonth As Integer
MyDate = "02/03/01" 'dd/mm/yy
MyMonth = Month(MyDate)
MyDay = Day(MyDate)
MyYear = Year(MyDate)

MsgBox MyMonth & vbCrLf & MyDay & vbCrLf & MyYear
End Sub

This returns:
2 Month
3 Day
2001 Year DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

Thanks, but I tried your test routine and the month function still gave the same error!! (the year and day functions are OK)- quite weird

Doupelow,

I was having the same problems - I changed the 'dim mymonth as integer to ' dim mymonth as variant - and this worked (?)...

Let me know if you got this to work another way

[bat]

In a slightly related issue can anyone tell me briefly the difference between enclosing the date in quotes and in hashes??

ie "16/12/02" vs #16/12/02# if I use hashes the date seems to format itself as mm/dd/yyyy.
%-)

Loomah - the hashes mean the date is literal rather than variable, and still needs to formatted to suit your needs

[bat]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back