Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with memo field on Access 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsoutherland

Programmer
Feb 26, 2004
I just converted a VB6 application/Access 97 database to Access 2000. Now code that used to retrieve data from memo fields in the tables only returns NULL. Any ideas? Interesting point is that when I run the code in debug and the data is retrieved from the table, using the immediate window I can display the data value the FIRST TIME. If I try to display the data value a second time, the data is returned NULL. Here is the code used to fill a data grid where rs is the recordset:

With grd

If (Not rs.EOF) Then
lintDBNumberOfFields = rs.Fields.Count
.Cols = lintDBNumberOfFields
ReDim ChunkyField(lintDBNumberOfFields)
llngWidth = 8 * .GridLineWidth
For lintX = 0 To lintDBNumberOfFields - 1
.Col = lintX
.Text = rs.Fields(lintX).Name
ChunkyField(lintX) = (rs.Fields(lintX).Type = adLongVarChar)
Select Case rs.Fields(lintX).Type
Case adChar, adVarChar, adVarWChar, adWChar, adLongVarChar, adLongVarWChar
.ColAlignment(lintX) = flexAlignLeftCenter
.WordWrap = True
If lintX <> 0 Then
If rs.Fields(lintX).DefinedSize > 10 Then
If rs.Fields(lintX).DefinedSize > 50 Then
If (lintX = lintDBNumberOfFields - 1) And (.Width - llngWidth > 5000) Then
.ColWidth(lintX) = .Width - llngWidth
Else
.ColWidth(lintX) = 5000
End If
Else
.ColWidth(lintX) = 80 * rs.Fields(lintX).DefinedSize
End If
Else
.ColWidth(lintX) = -1
End If
End If
Case Else
If lintX <> 0 Then
.ColWidth(lintX) = -1
End If
End Select
End if
Wend

This is correct (that a second attempt to retrieve a blob field produces a NULL).
This is due to the way long binary fields are retrieved, especially when over 256 bytes.

You should anyways be using the GetChunk method, or a Stream object to retrieve a blob field.
Also wise is to use a second recordset to retrieve just the long binary data, and then only if the user really needs to see the data (use a command button "Memo").
If a grid, it doesn't make much sense to display a memo field, usually intended for a lot of data, or even a picture.

If it contains text, then save the data to a variant(string) if you need to use it again.

If you move off of the record (or page) and back again, you should be able to get the data again.

I seem to have a solution though I do not know why. I changed the recordset cursor type to be adStatic rather than adForwardOnly and the code now handles the memo field correctly. Can somebody explain this, please? I have read the doc about the cursor types and it does not explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back