Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems with mainboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leo007

Technical User
Dec 10, 2003
NZ
I have a few problem with my mainboard, because when I start the pc my FAN turn on and than suddenly turn off (3sec) and the whole system shut up. What should I do?
I tried another CPU, change DDR position, removing the graphic card... Nothing help

I'd check to make sure the motherboard is not making any contact with the case except on the standing poles. If you are sure that nothing is causing it to short out, then unplug as much as you can (ie CD, HDD, expansion cards) If it then starts properly then add in one device at a time. if it starts dying again remove the last device added and try another. Everything else works? then you've found the problem. Every drive/card you add after a certain point causes the shutdown? then your powersupply can't handle the load.

Hopefully this will help you locate the problem.

If however you still have problems running on the bare minimum (board, CPU, RAM, VID Card) then the problem is either the board or Power Supply. I'd recommend changing the power suply first since they are fairly cheep.

Firstly take out all components then boot up pc. If now it still crashes you have a problem with the motherboard try to put the jumpers in different places look on your motherboard manuel and it will tell you how to do this. But try posting another question saying what make your motherboard becuase i have heard it is a problem with Asus and Jetway.

Is the system newly built??
Can you get into the bios?
Try resetting the cmos and then the bios to default.
I Suspect the power supply?? Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

This is probably a power supply overcurrent crowbar shutdown.
If it was a ground it would usually get about a half turn of the fan. So it's probably not enough power. How big is your power supply (watts) and what processor are you running. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

thats it... I bought a case called EUROCASE made for P4, what suprised me, was the fact that the case contains 230W supply. I thought this could be it. Somewhere I read that for P4 comp there has to be 300W supply! So whats the deal??? My processor is P4 2.2Ghz with 128Mb 333DDR memory and the mainboard is ABIT SD7-533. All is newly bought except CPU, but none of the pin is bent or broken!
Very insteresting is also the fact that only thing that has change running the comp was reseting the cmos memory. Reseting caused turning on/off the fan (3sec again).
Even if I remove everything there is no change at all.
Nothing beep! So I dont get even into the bios.

Neither more nor less...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back