Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with LaCie D2 External harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

user127

Technical User
Oct 8, 2005
GB
Hi All,

Wondering if anyone recognises any of the symptoms I'm getting with a LaCie D2 160GB External Harddrive:
(on Windows XP(SP2) host)

- Will usually copy files from the system harddrive the first drag and drop
- any further copies prompt delayed write errors
- Then can't stop the device for safe removal
- The drive contents disconcertingly dissapear and the drive shows 0items on it.

I'm tried the Microsoft troubleshooter but as with most microsoft products its not worth the code.

I'm trying to figure out whether it's the system or the drive that's causing the problem - I think it's probably the system because I've tried the device on a m8s computer and it seems to work ok. I'm just not sure on how to go about diagnosing exactly what the problem is and how to fix it...

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks

Pixel

As well as this forum, also try Lacie. They are a pretty good company and they may have the info you need in a FAQ or you can email their support.
That would be in addition to the support you get here.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Hi Garebo,

Good idea actually - I'm going to see if LaCie have got any spec on this problem...

Any further suggestions from here are still very much welcome of course!

Cheers

Pixel

Be forewarned, though, if you do need to speak to someone. Their head office is in Quebec, Canada, and of course their main language is French. But if you dont understand one persons english you can ask for another person, they wont mind.

Thanks Garebo, you're obviously well up on LaCie!

Just a bit, really. Mainly i have read they make very good but expensive products. I have an older lacie external usb product and their support was excellent for me. But i did have to ask for someone whose accent was not so French, lol. Even though i have a French background and can speak a bit and read French pretty well, the French they know is actually totally different, so i have to fall back on English, but they have some support people who are very fluent in English, so dont be afraid to ask is all.
Good company though!

Interesting... I've been buying LaCie products over cheaper alternatives because they've got a hell of a reputation in the graphic arts industry, I know some guys who won't get anything else. I havn't had time to get onto them yet but will do as soon as I get a spare moment.

Thanks for all your thoughts on the matter Garebo!

Pixel

In closing I have to say that sometimes i am one of the worst for that, and will try the cheap route. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. But thats for my personal stuff.

For professional use I will usually try and overcome my habits and go with something better. Thats where Lacie comes in. I bought the ext drive second hand but i paid more for it because it's Lacie and they are worth it.
I have only used my lacie for backup every day for about 5 yrs without an issue,lol.

Do let us know how good their support people are and what the results are!

Mainegeek - It's USB I'm connecting with m8, sorry should have said.

Garebo - I'll keep you updated!

Pixel

I have a "normal" USB2/firewire external drive. Running XP Pro/SP2. I had a lot of problems with the drive (corruption and file loss). I finally solved all problems by using USB2, and reformatting in NTFS (system is set up as FAT). Been working that way for almost a year (system backup once a week).

Hi Micker377,

My LaCie is on USB2 and NTFS already unfortunately so I don't have that luxuary;(

(wish it was and it solved the problem though)

Pixel

Can you go into "Hard drive Management", and reformat the LaCie drive?

Yes, but I want it in NTFS for using the windows machine as the backup server. I don't really want to re-format if possible as I have two drives in a redundancy cycle and I'd be wiping all my backup and data timelines (and have no where else really to put them in the mean time).

Pixel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back