Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with Javascript drop-downs

Status
Not open for further replies.

h09

IS-IT--Management
Mar 22, 2004
US
What's up guys? Unless you're running 1280 x 1024 as your resolution, you may notice how my drop down menus under my navigation bar are not appearing directly under the image as they ought to ( rankitnow.com ). I have their locations set at -205, -30 ( you can see this if you view the source at the top of the body ), yet different resolutions seem to screw with the actual location of the menus. Any suggestions to make these absolute, so they don't move with different resolutions? Thanks, please tell me if I didn't give enough information!

-- Dan

try developing with the 800x640 crowd in mind, position everything left,top, and and keep in mind text size, pic size, etc... code for the 800x640 and the bigger res crowd should see a perhaps even better view, a more compact and easily accessabile page layout...also keep in mind that by positioning things, really only works right in IE, so Netscape users, including Mozilla, will see a scattered mess when viewing the page.

Hey bud, thanks for the reply. What do you mean by positioning? I use Mozilla as well to test my page ( which has Netscape's engine if I'm correct ), and everything looks basically the same as on IE. However, do you see something else? If so, please provide a screenshot and send it on over to DanNovitski@yahoo.com, I'd really appreciate it.

What can I do for my images? I have them all made already, would I literally have to redesign each and every one of them whilst in 800 x 600 mode on my monitor?

Phew, after probably 13 hours of adjusting every little pixel and alignment, as well as pumping out a spiffy logo and other miscellaneous things, I finally made the site so that people with 800 x 600 resolutions can look at it and not be immediately turned away. It turned out real well, and looks considerably better than it used to. Take a look again. I scrapped the drop-down menus, I just will use some other drop-down menu, screw the Fireworks code.

hey sorry for the late reply, sounds like you got it worked out, what I meant was, to literally develop under the 800X600 res., in order to get a wygiwys effect, then, take a look at it in the 1024X720, I think??? See if it looks right and is readable...however if you positioned them with CSS syntax, then you basically will cut off a considerable amount of the population, mostly programmers, I think...

Oh no problem man. Well, that's what I meant, I literally redeveloped everything under 800 x 600, made sure it looked good in there, and them everything from there in the higher resolutions looks even more spiffier.

Now, I used divs for my positioning, and I tested it in Netscape, Mozilla and IE ( which is basically 95% of the Internet browser community if I'm correct ), and everything seems to be working out real well.

However, I don't really understand your last statement:

"however if you positioned them with CSS syntax, then you basically will cut off a considerable amount of the population, mostly programmers, I think..."

How have I cut off a considerable amount of the population? And, why programmers in particular?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back