Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with Japanese Left Function

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHogan

MIS
Aug 23, 2001
CA
I have a database that works fine with English Access '97.
But I open the same database on a Japanese PC and a get a Compile error message on a specific form

The problem is that I am using the left() function. I remarked out the line in code which uses left()and it workes fine. I also tried replacing the left function with the mid function but it gave me the same error message. For me to remove the left function it would take some major rewriting which I don't want to do..

Has anybody heard of any problems with the left or mid function on Japanese Office? Please help

I think your problem has more to do with missing references rather then the Japanese PC

go under modules/new/tools/references and look for any missing references of simlpy refresh them by selecting one then hit ok then unselect it and hit ok

I agree. It's always Mid(), Date(), UCase(), etc. when a reference gets broken. You'd think by now Microsoft would include a references check on startup that would preempt the 'User-Defined Type Not Found' message. Something more like:

"Microsoft Access has detected a missing reference to the 'DAO 3.6 Library,' would you like to search for the file yourself?"

HeHe... VBSlammer
redinvader3walking.gif

Thanks, that's great. It was a problem with the References. The problem was that it was Japanese Office and I couldn't read the characters before a specific Reference. Turns out it read Missing but I had no idea because it was in Japanese. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back