Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with installing JVM for Oracle 8i

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechEd23

IS-IT--Management
Feb 25, 2003
GB
I am a novice at this, so you will have to bare with me.

I am trying to install JAVA VERTUAL MACHINE on my machine so when I write UTL_SMPT procedures it will recognise the code. (I am writing the code in sql/plus worksheet and schema manager)

I have written a few procedures by using helpful threads that people have been kind enough to up on this forum.

I have tried to install JVM using the following code in sql/plus worksheet,

C:\oracle\ora81\javavm\install\initjvm.sql

This for the most part seems to have worked, I got a few errors but for a few lines of it, it seemed to have installed correctly. Unfortunately it still does not recognise any of the UTL_SMTP code.

The company that I work for does not use Java at all with Oracle 8i (Release 8.1.5) and we usually do all the coding in schema manager and the worksheet.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong ?? Have I installed it incorrectly ????

Any help would be greatly appreciated

cheers

teched

This is weird replying to my own post. Can anyone tell me why no one replied to my post, did I thrase the question wrong or perhaps it was on an area that no one new well?

Could anyone tell me as its driving me nuts ??

teched

I haven't replied because I haven't run into problems installing the JVM. One thing I can think of, you usually need to increase both the SHARED_POOL_SIZE and JAVA_POOL_SIZE to get it to work. You can usually reduce the sizes after the JVM is installed - in fact the JAVA_POOL_SIZE can be zero, I think, if all you are doing is using UTL_SMTP. I don't remember off the top of my head how big these parameters need to be, but when I have needed to know, I just did a web search and always found it.

Thanks for the info Jee.

Much appreciated.

I am currently making my way though the Oracle 8i Java Developer's Guide. I think that the problem may have been that the java software has not been installed. But hopefully I will be able to find the correct answer once I become more familar with java.

teched

Try Metalink articles 156477.1 or 175472.1 - they are for 8.1.7 but will give you the general idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back