Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with IExplorer 6 ! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
The IExplorer 6.0 browser in my system (Win 98 SE and Celeron 466) was so slow to terminate itself that when I open it again, the system froze .After I closed IExplorer , I looked at the listing of running processes in my system ( i.e. using Ctrl + Alt +Del buttons ), I still saw IExplorer there ! What's going on ? Please suggest a solution to this frustrating problem as I have to restart the PC each time .

Thank you.

From what I've read in this forum, and with my own experience with IE6 (BTW, I personally prefer Netscape 4.7), IE6 is not the most stable program and has still has bugs in it - for me the Windows Update page doesn't load in IE6, for others there are various issues.

I would suggest uninstalling IE6 and installing IE5.5 w/ the latest service pack. I think you'll be happier with that.

Hi BobbiZim
Sorry, but I am not entirely in agreement with dakota81! IE6 is just great and stable on my AMD900/WinME system.
With a Ctrl/Alt/Del I don't think IE gets a mention, it is "Explorer" that shows up which is "Windows Explorer" which is essential to appear, for the correct operation of the Operating system.
IE6 has a Repair facility. Try going to the Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and selct "Repair" for Internet Explorer". If this fails, the next step could be a re-install of IE6
I hope this info might assist. Worth a try!
Regards
Rosco

Thanks Rosco & dakota81 for all the tips . Actually , I had no beefs with IExplorer 6.0 for the past 3 months, until now . I did the following but nothing works yet :

_Use System file checker.
_Run IExplorer repair tool
_Reinstall Windows 98 SE
_Remove IExplorer 6 by <IEradicator 2001> and reinstall IExplorer 5.5

As for Rosco's comments, it was really Iexplorer that I saw in the running process list . I also found explorer on the same list ! So no error of observation here. Now, I know for sure the problem is this : somehow IExplorer ( regardless v6.0 or v5.5 ) refused to quit running after I close it. This causes the system to freeze ! But if I wait for 5 to 10 minute and Iexplorer quits by itself then everything is O.K.
I welcome further suggestion to fix this unusual problem.

If I were you I would trash IE6.0 and reinstall IE 5.0. They haven't gotten all the bugs out of 6.0 yet, but they don't tell you that untill after you've installed it.

No one can write a program for every single pc configuration. It's impossible; so there are bugs. I guess until they release a patch, I'd just experiment with some other browsers. I really despise the new Netscape (4.7 was my fav but I updated and therfore lost it). But I found that there are some great browsers out there. Mozilla is my favorite of the &quot;other&quot; catergory of browsers. It is clearly based off of the older Netscape, but it can be buggy in my experience. Opera is also another good one, but it uses ads to support itself. Out of the two, Mozilla is my favorite.

Thanks, Mace041 and GrafSpee, for sharing your views on a good browser. I certainly have to use one of those browser suggested . For the meantime, I still hope some one can point out the cause of this problem and hopefully suggest a fix.
Best regards,

BobbiZim

Per Rosco's post...

When you Ctrl/Alt/Del while browsing this thread what do you see? I haven't had the opportunity to see IExplorer or any version other than the name of the document Microsoft Internet Explorer is displaying at the time CAD is employed.
For example while browsing this thread, CAD should bring up &quot;Problems with IExplorer 6!- Tek-Tips - Microsoft Internet Explorer&quot;.

If IE6.0 will not shut down then it should be displaying the document you are hung up on. Curious...[penguin]
smitee

Thanks, smitee, for the kind response. Please note that there is no problem when I first start IExplorer. When I Ctrl+Alt+Del on this page , I saw exactltly as you wrote &quot;Problems with IExplorer 6!- Tek-Tips - Microsoft Internet Explorer&quot; . The trouble begins when I close the browser ! On the screen, IExplorer closes O.K. but when I
Ctrl+Alt+Del , I see &quot;Iexplorer&quot; there ( and of course &quot;explorer&quot; ). I can not <end task> &quot;Iexplore&quot; : it just stays there ! Then the system hangs! To continue, I have to restart the system. So the problem starts after the first closure of IExplorer in a session !

My theory is this : when I reverted back to IExplorer v5.5, some .dll files from v6.0 were left unchanged and not over-written ( i.e. may be due to a more recent date stamp ?? ). The mixed bag of .dll files from different versions could cause this problem.. I shudder each time thinking of the final solution : reformatting the HD ! I would rather wait for more suggestions than doing the reformating...

Since the problem only occurs when you try closing IE, the solution is clear: never close Internet Explorer

Sometimes I wish I was more helpful.

I've never used &quot;Mozilla&quot;, but all I've read about it says it has &quot;spyware&quot; and if you remove the spyware then it doesn't work at all. I could be wrong, so don't hold that against me. At least I'm trying! I hope I've helped in some way........

Thanks, crisc and nobrain, for your comments. I really curious about the cause of this bug. As for solution , I can live happily with Netscape and Opera any time. What burns me is : Iexplorer 6.0 worked for me in the past 3 months , problem-free. But &quot;nobrain&quot; got a point. I did use <Spy Detect> to remove some spyware before this problem happened. I thought cleaning up IExplorer with &quot;IEradicator 2001&quot; and reinstallation might fix the problem but ..Alas.. it did not work .. I would appreciate further suggestions...
Thanks..

FWIW
==================================================
Before you reinstall Microsoft Windows, you must first remove Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and Outlook Express 6.0.
How to Remove Internet Explorer 6.0 or Outlook Express 6.0 Before You Reinstall Windows
There seems to be some germane information in the following articles
(12) articles

I noted this similarity in the last article from .24hoursupport.helpdesk

excerpt from .

Now it seems I cannot remove either of them . I also get zone alarm asking me twice if I want to let IE access the net and when I use &quot;can't hide&quot; to view all running progs I sometimes see as many as 3 ie.exe files running at once !

Hope this does not turn out to be USELESS information

Regards

smitee

Thanks, smitee, for the most relevant infos on the problem!
I tried all the suggestions but so far, none works yet. The system still freezes each time I close Iexplorer v5.5 . I am at my wit's end...

Best regards,

I am in the same boat : My system (Win 98 SE, Celeron 900) freezes each time I close IExplorer 5.5 . This problem occurred after I reverted back to v5.5 from v6.0 ! I tried all suggestions on this thread without any result !

Still waiting for a good fix... Thanks

Thanks for the tip, jmatt. I used this browser before but please note that MyIE is just a wrapper for IExplorer with an excellent interface . It used IExplorer engine. I presently have to resort to Opera v6.01 and Netscape 6.2.1 to surf the net. They are O.K but take a while to get used to. Thanks..

Hmm, I'll add my twopennyworth. I found IE5.5 pretty stable and then I updated to IE6 which I thought was flaky. I then upgraded (I think its service pack 1) to IE6.5 and it was so stable. So far so good. I then installed ADSL with a USB alcatel modem (da frog) and Oh boy, these two do not like each other. I havent worked it out yet, but symptoms are varied. Sometimes the modem just powers off. Unplugging and replugging wont work. The system refuses to completely power off I think IE is hanging it. I restart with my modem unplugged and then plug it in it usually restarts. Sometimes when it restarts IE will not connect after I sign in to the web. I have to rebuild it...Still working at it, upgrades etc.
I was wondering if you had added new hardware recently and maybe the two are interacting. Personally I would not go back to 5.5 and I have installed 6.5 on two more different machines and they are fine. All 3 machines are Thinkpads a 560Z (ok) 600E (ok) and my 770 (which is the problem)
This is posted as food for thought as I could do with a resolution too.

regards Michael

P.S. The frog has only been used on the other two for large downloads, so no stress testing.

It could be the Alcatel modem itself. I have no personal experiece with them, but I have read several posts in this forum complaining about Alcatel. &quot;A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.....&quot; [morning]

Thanks ,Speccie, for your tips. But I am happy to report that IExplorer 5.5 suddenly works all by itself after I loaded and then unloaded NetScape Communicator v4.79 and uloaded Netscape v6.2.1 . Somehow after all these processes, IExplorer 5.5 was cured ! I really did not know why it worked again !

My experience after all these headaches is summarized as followed :

__Do not revert back to IExplorer 5.5 or ealier after installing IExplorer 6.0 because lots of .dll files of version 6.0 will be left behind and these cause conflicts !

Thank you everyone for responding to my cries for help...
In particular, thanks smitee for the relevant infos !

Best regards to all..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back