Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with DVD drive (reading and viewing files)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugmenot1

Programmer
Feb 24, 2006
NL
I'm gonna split this thread in two, because of different problems with two differnt burners.

I have a NEC ND 2510A and I've never had any problems with it, until last week.

The drive will no longer read cd or dvd. I am not sure but I think it happened after I tested a dvd-rw burned on a mac, reason why I believe this is because the disc worked fine before entering the mac, now the dvd-rw will not be read by two computers that I have tested.

Then I didn't insert any dvd's before two or three days later when I was suppose to burn a dvd movie for a friend, where I discovered the dvd would not read. So I tested a couple of more dvd's where no one would be read, exept, DVD-RW, original DVD movies and original dvd movies wich I have burned on dvd's.

I then tested all the dvd's wich would not be read on my computer on another computer where it worked withot any problems. I then tested some cd-r and those would be read with no prob. It also found the files on the cd.

Thinking this problem was something to do with the DVD laser I bought a NEC ND 4571 and installed it. On this I have the same problems, only this drive will not read any dvd's nor cd's.

Using my last resort after googling for days, I formatted my harddisc and re-installed windows thinking this would surely fix it. But no, still the same problems as before.

Then I tested some other things:
1.Removing the drivers in device manager and restart det pc.
2.Removing Secondary IDE channel and restarting.
3.Removing upper and lower regkeys.
4.Un-installing Nero.
5.Re-installing ASPI drivers.
6.Changing IDE cables.
7.Running Microsoft autofix.
8.Made sure disc is using DMA.
9.Checked firmware updates (There are none)
10.E-mailed NEC, still awating response although thought it will be much help.

Also on the 4571 it can read cd's, but all cd's gets indentified as empty. I can even burn cd's I have burned before altough the disc still gets indentified as empty.

This problem is very frustrating and I would like to fix it soon as possible.

I have windows xp service pack 1.
Using nero 7.0.8.2.

OK, looks like you've tried quite a bit so far - it's a good start.

Returning to the basics, I advise that you first make sure the DVD burner is on an IDE channel all by itself. Make sure it is set as MASTER and connected to the "end" connector (not the middle). It wouldn't hurt to first remove the drive from device manager, and any other device that was on the same channel before you shutdown and make this change.

If that doesn't help, try the bootdisk test. Go to to grab a Win98SE boot disc (if you don't already have one). Using the disk, bootup with CD-ROM support and see if the DVD drive can read "commercial" and "burned" CD's.

Let us know what you find...

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Okay, I unplugged my nec nd 2510 and let the ned nd 4571 be the master and the only one connected to my computer. No help there.

Booting up with bootdisk 98 with cd rom I get the following message when trying to dir my dvd drive:
"CDR101: Not ready reading drive E:
Abort, retry, fail?"

So apperantly the files can't be read outside of windows either.

For the IDE test, did you make sure it was attached to the end of the cable, and did you remove both drives from Device Manager before the change?

For the bootdisk test, did you try both CDR's and commercial CD's (making sure the disc was inserted before the dir command)?

Sorry for stating the obvious, but you'd be surprised how many people miss them...

Since it seems like the 4571 isn't very old, I'd contact NEC about the problem. If it doesn't work at a DOS prompt, the only thing left to try is another PC. But from the looks of it, that's not likely to make any difference. It seems like a hardware issue at this point. That's strange because I've built a dozen or so PC's with NEC drives released in the last 2 years. Never had an issue reported with that brand...

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Yes, I did make sure it was attached to the end of the IDE cable. At first I had not removed them both, but I plugged them both in and removed both and unplugged my 2510 with no change for det 4571.

Yes, I tryed burned dvd's and cd's and original dvd and cd. But whenever I pushed dir I would get the error message from my previous post.

Yes, I have contacted NEC but they have not answered my email. It's been a week now, I will mail them again today.

In the meantime, do you how any other suggestions I might try?

Thanks for your help so far.

I'm not sure if you can read DVD's from the CD-ROM mode using the 98SE bootdisk, but store-bought CD's should have worked fine.

Because we're sure it's not a Windows problem, like I said before, the only other option is to try a different system - though I don't think that's going to help. In addition to emailing them, I would try a phone call if you don't hear back within a week. I found this number off their site: 800-200-0274

~cdogg

One more thing you can try, although we're pretty sure it's not a Windows problem at this point:

MS Autofix:

~cdogg

Hi

Lots of good ideas already, the only missing area if you are not fixed already is:

What exactly does the BIOS think is on that channel - you may be able to see this flash by during boot up (or hit pause at the right moment). Is it what you have put there! Alternatively it may be worth entering the BIos setting if you know how /what you are doing and setting "optimum defaults" or similar > save before restarting. Note windows apparently does it's own version of a bios scan and can find thing the Bios doesn't see - but these things can then fail for some reason I havn't bothered to find out :) Just update and re-default the bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back