Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems with drive restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
While trying to restore a downed file server, I am able to restore all previous backed up drives (f:, g:, h:, etc...) but when I attempt to restore the e: drive, I get an error NSR server 'backup_server_name': Cannot find the volume needed.
This is not an OS reinstall, just files to an NTFS partition. W2K client. Legato 6.0 server on NT 4.
I am not sure what this means or how to recover from it. I have done the normal things, like rebuilding the index with the -L7 switch.
Does anyone have any thoughts?

Before you restore the E:\ drive you can view what volumes are required for the restore.
Can you confirm that those volumes are aviable? Does networker "know" about them.
We have problems every now and then where the autochanger looses a tape and an inventory of the slot that has the tape is needed.
Try that otherwise a restore from the previous day?

When viewing what volumes are required for restore, the full backups return no volumes. It is odd because the only full that has this particular problem is the E:\ drive. All others restore without any problems.

Is there a way to rebuild these required volume information?

Check the savegroup logs and confirm the E: was backed up on that day.
Maybe it was missed.
You can do a couple of thigs.
Check the index using Nsrck <can't remember the switch but have a look at the man pages>
If you want to bring back the media index then use mmrecov
This is going to overwrite your current media index so I am not too sure that is what you want to do.
It sounds like the E: drive was never backed up in the first place.

If you go to the Windows NT 6.0.1 release supplement document:
and go to Page 28 of 51 titled, &quot;Erroneous Record Fragments in the Media Database (LGTpa25542, 25763) it makes reference to this problem.
Legato technical support will (after paying) send you an application named MDBCK.exe that runs as a command line utility. It takes about 30 seconds to re-read the index databases and fix the problem that I was having.
Before I could restore, I did need to update to 6.0.1 from Networker 6.0 for NT. There is a but there as well (LFTpa25120). From page 32 of 51 in the Supplement, &quot; The Update Existing Setup feature currently does not work when updating from a 6.0 server.&quot; The workaround is found in the Supplement under that section.
I don't know if I am happy to have this problem solved or angry with Legto's online support and poor code.
Either way, I just wanted to follow up in case someone else has this same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back