Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with Desaster Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkusGiller

Technical User
Sep 8, 2003
DE
Hi Experts,

we tried to recover a Windows 2000 Server with an Arcserve
bootable CD and machine specific Disk. Everything seemed to work well the machine boots from CD recognizes the correct network adapter and so on. Then, when the windows logo appears, the desater recovery wizard starts and asks for reboot. Rebooting... desater recovery wizard starts and rebooting without asking and then it always reboots after
starting the wizard. What have i done wrong?

System is Arcserve 2000 SP4 full patched.
I hope you can help me.

Regards, Markus

This might actually go back to the backup.
If the backup was configured with a specific IP address for the client instead of name resolution then it can cause this type of problem.

I took a new backup without specifying an IP Adress. But
the problem is still the same. We also tried to restore by creating Disks. Everything is still the same.
One thing i forgot. After the first start of Win200 the DR Process recognizes the installed Network Adapter and after applying that the machine asks for reboot. After booting, a window appears where you can choose Network adapters but there are only very old EISA Adapters. After pressing CANCEL at this pop up the machine boots and boots and boots.

Strange. We tried this DR Procedure with two different network adapters which work fine. But Arcserve won't restore properly.
Any Comments
TIA Markus

System is Arcserve 2000 SP4 full patched."

Fully patched huh
QO49312.CAZ 5.5 MB 01/05/2004 NT -ARCSERVE 2000 SERVICE PACK 5

Now patched with SP5. But the problem is still the same.

I don't know what else i can do. But i need DR if a crash occurs.

Any comments?

Thx Markus

DR issues can be tough and so you might have to open in issue with CA to fully troubleshoot it. Here are a few items from my notes that might help.

Logs
\drboot.tmp\system32\dr\log\dr.log
\drboot.tmp\system32\dr\log\arcserve.log
\drboot.tmp\setupapi.log

Hidden troubleshooting menue
"Ctrl" + "Shift" and double click in the graphic on the left hand side.
The double click will produce a drop down menu. things available from the hidden menu:
command prompt
loging
drif info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back