Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with Delete queries in MS access 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

msowards

Programmer
Jun 24, 2012
US
Hey all,
I have finally got a Query that finds the duplicate records( based on three different columns) and list all the earlier duplicates (based on transaction date) for deletion.
When i was developing this Query, with outside help, I tested it by using the 'Datasheet View'. It produced a list of records to delete which meet my expectation, nut when i went to Execute the query Access errors out saying, "Could not delete records from specified tables."

DELETE Table_A.*
FROM Table_A INNER JOIN (SELECT max(date_updated) AS LatestUpdate, Table_A.FLD2, Table_A.FLD3, Table_A.FLD4 FROM Table_A GROUP BY Table_A.FLD2, Table_A.FLD3, Table_A.FLD4
HAVING count(1)>1) AS B
ON (Table_A.FLD4=B.FLD4) AND (Table_A.FLD3=B.FLD3) AND (Table_A.FLD2=B.FLD2)
WHERE (((Table_A.date_updated)<.[LatestUpdate]));

This is the Query produces a correct list but won't delete. Any ideas?

Access queries containing GROUP BY are not updateable. You could change this to an append query to append a primary key value to a temporary table. Then use the temporary table in your delete query.

There might be a solution using a totals query in the criteria.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Thanks. I kind of thought there was something like that going on. If I remember correctly the Group On is in the totals row of the Access query design.

I'd *try* something like this:
DELETE A.*
FROM Table_A A
WHERE A.date_updated<(SELECT Max(date_updated) FROM Table_A WHERE FLD4=A.FLD4 AND FLD3=A.FLD3 AND FLD2=A.FLD2)

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

That did it. This query produces the proper list and Access allows it to delete the records.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back