Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with Dcount on String field programatically 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

efinnen

Technical User
Feb 21, 2000
US
Hi All

First off, let me say thanks for any advice or help you can provide with this problem. So I’m a bit confused with whats going on right now. I have two sets of tables that I need to run a DCOUNT routine (VBA) on and I am at a loss why the second one isn’t working programmatically.

The first command works fine (in this case the field TRIPID is a number, and the table is called SPECIES_02_03). Please drop me a line if you need all the code..

cmd.CommandText = "UPDATE ANALYSIS SET NMBR_TRP = DCount(""*"",""SPECIES_02_03"",""TRIPID="" & [TRIPID]);".

The problem is when I have to do something similar on the other table (OBSPP) where the field LINK1 is a string it doesn’t work programmatically.

cmd.CommandText = "UPDATE Analysis SET NMBR_TRP = DCount(""*"",""OBSPP"",""LINK1='"" & [LINK1] & "" '"")"

I was initially thinking that I might have screwed up somewhere feeding in the double quotes or something along those lines. However, if I put a break in the code and extract what cmd.commandtext is I get the code below. When I cut and past that into a standalone query in Access it works perfectly.

UPDATE Analysis SET NMBR_TRP = DCount("*","OBSPP","LINK1='" & [LINK1] & " '")

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I’m at a bit of a loss in regards to why this sql snippet isn’t working programmatically but is working in Access.

Thanks
-eric

I just tried it. I'm getting a Compile Error : External name not defined on the last LINK1

And this ?[tt]
cmd.CommandText = "UPDATE Analysis SET NMBR_TRP = DCount(""*"",""OBSPP"",""link1='"" & [link1] & "[!]"'"[/!]")"[/tt]

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

That last one would be what did it.. Unfortunately I also just figured oout that Dcount blows up when you feed it a large amount of records programatically (system resources exceeded). However, it does work when embedded as a query in Access.

So with that in mind. I guess my VB will just call the query instead of feeding it the SQL line.

Thanks for the help..

-eric

Dcount blows up
and this ?
cmd.CommandText = "UPDATE Analysis SET NMBR_TRP = (SELECT Count(*) FROM OBSPP WHERE link1=Analysis.link1)"

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

The last one gives me a "Operation must use an updateable query.

Your posting at 1:19 seems to solve the problem (sort of). I haven't established theexact number that causes it to blow up. But it appears that it doesn't run when part of the Analysis table is to big. I haven't been able to hunt down if its number of records, number of unique records in LINK1 or a combination of both.

-e

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back