Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with Client Access Licenses? will not allow a connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattkieffer

Technical User
Jun 5, 2001
GB
We have a small NT4 server network with 8 NT clients. Licensing is set to run in Per Seat mode, with 15 licenses currently available.

Although there are only 8 machines, we have 15 different users setup who access the PCs at different times during the week.

What seems to keep happening is that every so often when a machine tries to browse the entier network either using a mapped drive or network neighbourhood, it gives the error message "no more connections can be made at this remote computer at this time because there are already as many connections as the computer can accept" This machine logons on and authenticates on the server okay.

The event log also keeps warning that the number of users has exceeded the no of licenses - it seems to keep holding onto certain users licenses for a long period of time (i.e. users who haven't accessed for maybe a few weeks are still listed as having a license allocated, although this can be manually revoked to rectify the problem)

All the obvious things i.e. number of permitted users against the shares, settings within the license manager and everything trawled from TechNet seems to be okay!

Does anyone else have any more ideas guys n gals? :)

I could never and would never condone adding more licenses to your server than you actually possess, but in per seat mode that can be done far too easily. Many administrators have been sorely tempted to do this to get around precisely this problem. However unethical this is it does have the advantage of not having to manually revoke the licenses every day.

I'm sorry I don't have a solution for you. Ian

"IF" is not a word it's a way of life

Not so long ago, I accidentally installed a version of NT4 Server which I now believe was an old msdn version. Either that or something became corrupted during the install. What then happened is exactly as you have described. I actually tried a number of different licenses, with no luck. I also checked on the net and after a long search I found that it seemed I was running a stripped down version of NT (even though we have a fully licensed version where I work), in the end I cut my losses and re-installed the OS; which worked fine.

Hope this helps.

Craberry.

This sounds more like you are getting the error message originating from one of the workstations. (limit of 10 connections concurrent)

If you have a situation of a lot of underground Peer 2 Peer networking going on over the domain, then add a couple of application connects to a Workstation as well

Then try for the next connection to the "full" Wkstn and you get "sorry none left"

Only a theory
-Hugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back