Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with browsing the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhaud

Instructor
Mar 17, 2001
US
When I dail into my isp i connect but IE and netscape will not open any web pages. I can ping a site by typing in the numbers (for example) 000.000.000.000 and get a reply. But if I type in the the command: ping name).com for example i get nothing. I am using Windows ME.
I have tried removing TCP/IP and then re-installing it, but I get the same errors.

Was this PC setup for internet service before? I would first look at the connection options on the browsers and make sure there setup up for dial up connection. I have also had to reload the browsers. Please Advise. Good Luck ! J.Fisher CCNA
Jeter@LasVegas.com

Before the problem began, I was using AOL with no trouble. When I switch to a local ISP I have had nothing but trouble ever since. I have a laptop and I can connect and surf, ping, no problem, but I can not surf or ping websites with my tower computer. I am using the dial up program from Windows ME and also with the browers I am using dail up. The only brower I could reinstall was netscape because I have it on a cd. I can not reload IE 5.5 because I do not have a cd. The only one for IE that I have is ver.4.0

I have seen computers with IE 5.5 on them do the same thing.
try going into add/remove programs, click on remove and it should give you the option of repairing ie5.5. if that doesn't work. remove ie 5.5, it then should give you the option of reverting back to ie 5.0.

was this IE browser installed from the AOL installation CD?

AOL screws up the IP stack rather badly with version 6. Your best bet is to smoke the IP stack and re-install it from the cab files on the system or the system CDROM that your version of windows is on. The browser can be "fixed" by going to microsofts update site and taking it up to 5.5. with service pack. This will overwrite much of the IE code and hopefully the AOL tweaked nonsense. I have refused to upgrade my AOL, I've kept it 5 and will for the forseeable future just for this reason.

Mike S
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Sounds like a DNS lookup problem. When you ping the Web site host name ( do you get "unable to resolve host name"? If you do you may still be setup on AOL's DNS servers that are for internal use only. Take a look at your DNS entries and make sure they are pointing to your new ISP.

david e

The DNS was incorrect, I did replace them. I am now able to ping both ways and get a response. Thank you for your help. Now the only problem I have is that both IE and Netscape still can not open any websites. Do I need to re-install IE/Netscape again?

Thanks

When you attempt to open a web site under the browser, do you receive an error message? I know under IE5.5 you can go to Tools|Internet Options and then Connections and take a look at the dialup connection used. Make sure you have it set to the correct connection. Also look for any proxy information, AOL may utilize proxy settings in their particular setups for IE5.5 and Netscape, if you are connecting to a regular dialup there should be no need for Proxy settings.

david e

Sounds like either a proxy setting, have you called your local ISP to see if they use poxy? The other thing is that IE5.5 uses dialup options of Dial-up networking (DUN) or Local Area Network. These to could pose a problem. I've had my computer go to a LAN setting in IE on its own, since these are the Internet Options that control this it effected both IE and Netscape.

I am not using a proxy in IE to connect. I can dail into my isp, get the little icon connection down in the system tray. I can ping any server on line and get a reply. However, when I start up my browser after doing this I get an error message that IE can not open the page. Netscape says that a network socket could not be connected.

The settings for connection in IE says to use dail up. There is no proxy checked in the lan settings, all boxes are empty.

Where did you get the copies of IE and Netscape? If they came from AOL try to get copies from Microsoft or Netscape. Those copies may be specific for AOL use. You also might want to go to Tools|Internet Options then click on the advanced tab and click on Restore Defaults. That might get your particular versions back to the Default settings and remove any additional settings that AOL place in there.

david e

Do not remove, but disable the AOL protocal stacks and dial-up adapter in the device manager then let it use the default TCP/IP stack. ME does not fully support AOL 6.0. If you are using a Dell or Gateway, it really hates 6.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back