Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with bgcolor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickth

Technical User
Jun 5, 2004
US
Hello,
I have a site I normally use Netscape 7.2. As such, I do some testing with IE, but not alot. I started looking at different combinations of OS and browsers, and am coming up confused.

Win2000 + NN 7 = Fine
WinXP + NN 7 = Fine
Win2000 + IE 6 = Fine
WinXP + IE 6 = problems

The problem is, the bgcolor and text colors aren't working. I do use an include() statement in my header, and that is where the bgcolor is defined. When I click on view source after the browswer loads, everything looks correct. Are there known issues with IE 6 and WinXP using certain commands? I'm also having another problem with Javascript that I'll need to figure out.

Mick

Rather than using bgcolor, have you tried seperating the content into CSS files and applying a class to each element that needs it. Also, you should consider moving away from table based designs. Make a start by reading through some of the articles from:

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Thanks ca8msm. I have actually ordered a book on CSS, but won't get it from Amazon until early Feb. I have other sites taht I want to begin with CSS. But, for this problem, are you saying that I've incorrectly used bgcolor? Like, is there a known issue with what I'm trying to do, in WinXP/IE 6? I just don't know why it would work in some of the situations, but not all?

Mick

On my workstation at home (WinXP/IE 6), the background is white, and the text is such a light yellow, you can't see them. It is supposed to be a dark grey background, with almond color text. That is the way it displays in all my other combinations of OS/Browsers. Could I have a corrupt installation of XP or IE6?

Mick

So on your workstation it has the dark grey back ground? Last night I changed the back ground to several different colors, and nothing I did seemed to affect the color of the back ground. Each time I did "view source" to see what the browser loaded, and the change loaded each time (Currently it's #333333, but I tried #666666 and several others). So it is loading, but not displaying. Tonight I'll try reading up on settings in IE. Again, I don't use IE as my main browser, so I'm not as familiar with it. Thanks.

Mick

Dont forget the standard background colour for a couple of browsers (i think FF and Netscape) is grey if not specified ... not sure if that may be causeing confusion somewhere.

Rob

I think Dan is right here, you must have a user style sheet set in IE that overrides regular styles. Check under Tools -> Options -> General -> Accessibility. And search around. My IE6 renders the page the same as Mozilla.

I checked under Accessibility, and there are 4 boxes, all unchecked. ???? I'll keep digging around.

Mick

Well, it is not just my site. This one should have a dark background (this is not my site), but on my computer, with WinXP/IE6 it has a white background.

So, I'll have to figure out what is wrong. I also have a JS problem on another site I'm making. It works fine on all other combinations, but not XP/IE6.

If you choose your state, it should then populate the correct counties.

Mick

Well, I made the most basic of CSS sheets to work with. The only thing in it is:

body {background-color: #333333}

That is the dark grey color I'm after. It works in everything but XP/IE6 (still shows up white). So, I guess my IE6 has a setting that is messed up? Any ideas?

Mick

I also mentioned the accessibility-related "high-contrast" display theme. Try going to "Control panel" -> "Display" -> "Themes", and seeing what theme you are using. Try switchin it back to "Windows XP". Also go to the "Appearance" tab" and make sure things are set to "Windows XP style", not some other thing.

Then, back in "Control Panel", go to "Accessibility Options" -> "Display", and make sure "use high contrast" is not checked.

After that, I'd take this to the Windows XP or Browser Issues forums - as it's clearly not an HTML or CSS issue.

Dan

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Also, how many colours is your display set to show? If 256 or 16, you may find you just have too many colours on-screen for Windows to display them all properly. If so, increase that number.

Dan

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Well, it was the "Use High Contrast" button. For some reason it was checked. Thank you Dan. I'll head over to the Javascript forum to work on my State/County problem. I'll be back here sometime when I start coverting over to CSS. I can see how much better using CSS will be in the long run. Very easy to use.

Mick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back