Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with backup on a HP Surestore dat24 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toiv

Technical User
Nov 30, 2002
SE
My backup trough a at-command and a script in NT4 Server
fails sometimes without no reason.
I'm running the script with compression on,it should give
me 24 gb with a 12 gb dds3 tape,but when it fails it tell
me to put in tape nr.2 and the yellow clean lamp is on.

Hi first how many gigabytes are you getting onto tape before it is asking for another tape.If it is over 12gb then it shows that the drive is compressing.Backups failing with the cleaning light flashing are a common issue with these drives.Problem could be with the firmware or the heads on the drive need recalibrated.What I would advised is to test the hardware by running the Hp Storage Works Library and tapetools Diagnostics.Here is the url for to download the test In this Diagnostics you can Update the firmware to revision L111.Also what I would advise is to run all the tests.In the device analysis test results it will let you know if your drive neeeds recalibrated.If so click on utilities on the menu bar at the top of the test screen.Then click on run script and then click on Browse.This will bring up a window with a list of files.Select the ddsWriteRecal.ssc and then click on open.You then go back to the previous window an dtick the drive box.Insert a brand new DDS3 tape and run the script.The heads on the drive should then be reset.Clean the drive 5 times in succession and Then run all tests to see if the drive is working fine.If still getting issues contact your HP technical support team as you may have a Hardware fault.

Hope this Helps
Shaun

Shaun, just so you know, the link does not work. To download L&TT for the Windows platform, you can go to or ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/COL1977/co-9548-4/ltt_3

To download L&TT for other platforms (you can still download for the Windows platform here too) go to or

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back