Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with Backup Exec 8.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrEVIL2k5

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2005
DE
Hi, we use Backup Exec 8.6 in our company

due to recent problems we rescheduled our backup and split it into two.

i am not expert in backup exec though and so i got the problem when the 2nd backup runs it overwrites the first

the first backup starts 9pm and the 2nd starts 6:30am
but in the "restore selections" menu i only see the 2nd backup for restoring.

i setup a 2nd media set, thought that would help but it doesnt.

any idea how to solve that problem?
or do i simply got a wrong idea of backups on tape?
please see this thread as a newbie thread ;)

regards

mirko

make sure that the 2nd job is set to append and not overwrite.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

actually i tried that before...the result was this error message

"The media provided to continue the backup already contains data
from one or more sets created during this operation.
The operation can not be continued

Once you overwrite a media, it will delete that catalog. Means you can,t restore that data, So append the media

another thing is that i created another media set, the first backup runs on the standard media set 1 the 2nd on the customize created media set.
i thought that backup exec would create that way 2 data "files" that are independend, ok i will let it run again in append mode, lets pray o:)

thx so far

alright here is the news, i let the backups run tonight, first was succussful, 2nd again not, first has defined "overwrite yes" on media set1.

error message of the 2nd job was

No appendable media could be mounted.
Error - Mount failed.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Physical Volume Library Media not found.

2nd job was defined
overwrite no
append to media, terminate job if no appendable media is available

:(

Means the tape was full or you set the media set to not be appendable. Make sure the media set is infinite allow append.
Or you have the job set to eject the tape on the first job and it was looking for tape in the second.

first job does not eject!
2nd job it is set to append

Ok so it couldnt find appendable media. Does the tape show its appendable in the media tape?

in the "restore selections" it shows the media that has been created while the first backup job ...so yes

Thats different. In the media tape you should see the tape the first job ran to. The tape label in backup exec should be seen as blue or black. Ther should be some wording telling you the overwrite period left in days, etc and append period, etc.
Status of the tape

ok problem solved, everything runs smooth now, thx to everybody for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back