Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with ArcServe 7 for NetWare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chopsy

IS-IT--Management
May 29, 2002
AU
I am having a terrible time with ArcServe and would appreciate any help or advice.

We were running ArcserveIT for Netware with no problems, but needed to backup a new W2K server, so we upgraded to ArcServe 7 for NW & purchased the client agent for W2K. Since then I have had nothing but grief!

Firstly it wouldn't let me configure the agent using IPX. I contacted CA's tech support by email and they advised a whole list of patches. I dutifully applied all the patches, and it fixed the problem, and I was able to configure my client by IPX.

Since then however it's been getting worse! Firstly the jobs in the queue wouldn't run. They were scheduled for the correct date & time, but they would just be ignored, and if I looked at the Scheduler Console on the server it listed the jobs, but showed a total job count of 0. I tried removing the jobs and recreating them, but to no avail. Even jobs configured to "run now" would just sit in the queue marked as "ready". I tried stopping and starting ArcServe on the server, but I noticed when it was unloading that it reported that it hadn't released all the memory resources. As a precaution I downed the server and restarted it. When it tried to re-load ArcServe it complained that the job queue was corrupt and stoped loading. So I copied in the EmptyDB files and it loaded fine. When it came to run the jobs in the new Queue..... same problem. I looked at some of the configuration settings within ArcServe console and tried reducing the minimum % cache required to start jobs. Lo and behold, the console then showed the Total Jobs as 3, and the jobs ran successfully that night.

Just when I thought I had the problem licked, I tried to do a test restore from the tape, but all it shows are the sessions, you can't browse/expand them. I then took one of the tapes and tried to merge it back in. It reports the multiple sessions being megred, it shows the file & data count, but you still can't expand them.

Any suggestions???!

I feel your pain my friend. I had some of the same problems. We upgraded from 6.6 to AS7.I run Novell 6 w/SP1 (not SP2), pure IP, with AS7.
Before the upgrade all was fine >>after 0 jobs were backing up. Some of the jobs you can see some you cannot. Tried to fix but to no avail. Even with the patches.
I reinstalled on another volume (not sys)applied the patches and recreated all jobs.
All is working fine now.

I have had the same problems backing up NT servers from a netware server.
The only way i got it to work was setup a completely seperate job for the NT server and schedule the rotation with GFS enabled!!! this is the only way I've got the schedule to connect to the NT agent..
Hope is helps

Hi,
Let me answer all your questions.

1. If you are still experiencing the problem os jobs simply sitting in the queue without going active, make sure in the Arcserve Scheduler console->Configure Arcserve Server, the value for "Maximum # Concurrent jobs" is 16.

2. Sessions don't expand:
Please do the following.

Edit the file sys:\system\bti.cfg and make the changes as follows:
[MicroKernel]
MaxFiles =100 (default is 20)
MaxCursors=120 (default is 60)
CacheSize=8192 (default is 1024)
MaxClients=120 (default is 30)
BackgroundThreads=15 (default is 4)

[Btrieve Communications Manager]
MaxWorkerThreads=15 (default is 3)
MaxClients=120 (default is 15)

After making the changes,
Rename the sys:system\MKDE\LOG directory to OLDLOG.bak. Log is the name of Btrieve's transaction log.

Rename the ARCserve\Database directory to OLDDB.

Create a new Database directory and create a dbscan subdirectory within the database directory.

Copy all the files from the ARCserve\emptydb directory to the new Database directory.
Create a new LOG directory, sys:system\MKDE\LOG directory.

Reboot the server so that the changes would take effect. After the reboot, start Arcserve and perform a backup.

Hope this helps!

ArcserveFreek

I tried following all those steps, but I still can't expand my sessions...

HI friends, I have the same problem since the 1st day I installed the ARCserve7 for Netware onto my Netware 6.0.

Try to amend the BTI.CFG

[MicroKernel]
MaxFiles=200
MaxCursors=200
CacheSize=32768
MaxClients=120 (default is 30)
BackgroundThreads=25 (default is 4)

MaxWorkerThreads=25 (default is 3)
MaxClients=120 (default is 15)

1)Down the ARCserve (astop)
2)Rename the DATABASE Folder in ARCserve-Directory on the server
3)Create a new folder named DATABASE
4)Copy all Files from Directory EMPTYDB to the new created DATABASE Folder.
5)Start ARCserve (astart)
6)Creaste a brand new job and save as script to HDD at first.

Hope this will help.

RolKok
Thanks and Regards
Rolank

Good call rolkok - try it, should work a treat! -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

I suffered from the same pain. But this helped by now. See link:

[MicroKernel]
MaxFiles=100
MaxCursors=120
CacheSize=122880 (depending on memory size or DB size which ever is smaler)
MaxClients=300
BackgroundThreads=48
BalancedTrees=NO
ForceFileVersion=0700
SystemData=YES
MaxDatabases=100
Logging=NO
CompressedBufferSize=5
ExtendedBufferSize=16
MergeSortBufferSize=0
MaxRecSize=32
CachePartitioning=NO
TransDurability=YES
TransLogBufferSize=64
TransLogFileSize=512
SysTransBundleLimit=1000
SysTransTimeLimit=10000
WaitLockTimeout=30
TransLogDirectory=SYS:SYSTEM/MKDE/LOG
Trace=NO
TraceFile=SYS:/SYSTEM\MKDE.TRA
TraceDataBufferLength=32
TraceKeyBufferLength=32
TraceOpsList=ALL
LoadRouter=NO
RouterCommBufferSize=16
Use FileIO Mutex=NO
RuntimeServerSupportMode=0000
WorkDirectory=

MaxWorkerThreads=64
MaxClients=300
MaxRecSize=16384
MaxReceivePacketSize=1500
Use SAP=AUTODETECT
Supported Protocols=TCPIP, SPX

[Database Names]
DBNamesDirectory=SYS:/SYSTEM

[Btrieve Interface]
Embedded Spaces=NO

Well I had a similiar problem a couple of weeks ago! I went through different parameters in BTI.CFG. Nothing worked. What was happeneing is everytime I tried to expand a session btrieve would have a problem with the number of clients allowed and the database would looked corrupt. Arcserve tech support was of no help to me. I realized that InoculateIT was causing the problem. What happened is that everytime you tried to open the database exclusively InoculateIT would try to scan it. This would go back and forth until the database loaded with a bunch of errors on the file server console and finally exploding. IF you exclude the Arcserve databse directory from being scanned all the errors with this issue disappear. If you want to know how to do this there is a way in the Inocuini.cfg.

[RealtimeSetting]
ExcludeDir=|PROGRAM:\ARCSERVE.7\DATABASE|

I felt your pain!!
I hope this helps

I had the exact same issue about 2 weeks ago. I ended up doing another restore, only this time I did not restore the trustees rights. This did the trick for me. Let me know how it turns out for you.

Cheers,

RB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back