Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with applications and concurrent connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjpc

IS-IT--Management
Oct 11, 2004
GB
we have a problem..

I have users that complain of not being able to open published applications even though they've just logged on. We limit users to 1 instance per application on the farm. They get a message that states they already have an instance open, sure enough looking on the mangement console we can see that they are still logged in, even though they've closed the published app down previously..

My management are concerned about the number of helpdesk calls we are getting..

Any ideas or thoughts

regards
john

I have seen outlook not closing correctly. It can sometimes take a bot of time to close their connections. I have seen up to 10 - 15 seconds.

[blue]Arguably the best cat skinner around ! [/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Thanks for responding ascotta

jc

Hi,

What have you done when one of these users have rung your help desk?

Have they got a connection?
Have you tried shadowing that connection?
Have you visited and looked? (if physically possible)
Have you got them to see if the ICA Connection Centre is in their toolbar?

What applications?

Cheers,
Carl.

many thanks for responding Ogi

Situation is this

Users normally complain when they've tried to go back into the application they've previously logged out of,(some of them have minimised and forgotten about it). Helpdesk checks to see if connection is still open, if so they log it off,user is then able to open application.

Valid point about shadowing, have asked Helpdesk to give it a try.

Users located all over world.

Affects quite a few of our apps, especially those that seem to spawn dos boxes. Quite a few of them run from batch jobs.

regards

jc

Hi Carl, when I have seen it, the client end has not dropped the connection, but the server end has not cleared, therfore the user still has a running version of outlook on the server, tho at the client end their is nothing running.

[blue]Arguably the best cat skinner around ! [/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Thanks for your responce guys....

but what is the solution !!!

REGARDS

JC

Hi Scott,

Aren't you assuming that jc is running Outlook, when in fact he hasn't told us the problem applications? Also, I'll agree I've seen some of my applications (not outlook) do the same.

I've seen apps disappear from the screen so the user believes that the programs aren't running so trys to start the application again but in fact they are!

What I'd suggest is trying to shadow the user, then do CTRL+F1 and get the Windows Security up, choose Task Manager, then try tiling or cascading all the windows and see if the application appears! It may point to what is going on.

Do the Dos boxes close or is that keeping the application open? If so, you need that Dos box to exit when it starts the Windows application!

Cheers,
Carl.

HI Carl,

The apps can be anything from Notes Email to some of our engineering apps,

The Dos boxes tend to start the process then close ( ??), we do it this way cause we have some great apps that don't like citrix drive mappings !!!

Thanks for taking an interest..

jc

Hi jc,

Ok, I'm starting to get frustrated! You'll need to provide more information than you have! We've "guessed" as far as we can and will not be able to help you fix your issue.

We need to know more about the problem, so when a user rings you up, what processes are still running on the users session that is there!

Cheers,
Carl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back