Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with Administrator Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

alxndr

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2001
US
I have a pc in which when I log in as administrator, it lets me in, but fails to give me administrator status. I am trying to upgrade to Windows 2000 pro and it states that I do not have administrator priviledge.

Could the "administrator" account been changed? I mean, the true administrator account given a different username, to thwart hackers, etc?

(I've always wanted to use that word..."thwart") ;)

I just took over the duties and want to erase this computer and install new programs.

the reason could be that as security measure the previous user must have named the administrator account to something else and might have created a local user account named administrator, that's possible.

you can either do a complete repair, booting from the Win NT WKS CD, this will give you the system with a fresh OS, with administrative rights, from here you can upgrade to Win2K. before doing this you'll need to uninstall all the programs, i guess you won't be able to uninstall some of the programs since you don't have admin rights.

so delete those from program files or whatever folders they are in before installing Win 2K. you can safely do this b'cos Win NT is a fresh one so all the system files related to these programs are deleted anyway and they need to be reinstalled for them to work.

this should help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back