Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with 7.6.3 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmrVA

IS-IT--Management
Jul 22, 2003
US
upgrading from 7.6.200 last night, no problems. Ran the update prep utility, then the upgrade. Went into Progression to update client and I get a JMW0001I-I THE ERROR OCCURED in P:/Macola75/VBMacExe.exe
Application Error, Exception_Access_Violation (C0000005)
all of the PC's do the same thing. Running Windows XP Pro SP2.

I have a call into Support, but in the meantime everyone is out of the system and have forgotten how to function without it.

I backed up my entire Macola75 directory so I guess I could just copy back.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Donna

I forgot, we are running Netware 5.1 SP6 and Pervasive SQL 2000i SP4. I have an upgrade to Pervasive 8.5 but I don't like to introduce too much new at once and support advised me to install the Progressive upgrade first.

Donna,

The macola install/upgrade writes several files to various systems directories both on the server and on the workstations.

Do not try to restore just the Macola75 directory or you will make a bad situation worse.

Be sure to create the log file, assumming you are prompted for it, and email this to support as well. Also there is a document of a similar error to yours, please check out document 04.496.723 on the customer portal.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

Thanks,
I searched last night for documents and missed that one. I have already emailed the log to support.

Thanks for advice about not restoring to backup.

I'll keep you posted.

Donna

Donna,
I'm really glad you posted your message as I am/was planning on upgrading from 7.6.200 to 7.6.300b this weekend.
Did you encounter this problem when you installed the 7.6.300 upgrade or when you installed the service pack "B"?
Also Don we are on SQL, are you aware is this an issue in the SQL environment? About half our client boxes are WinXP SP2 and half Win2000, do Win2000 clients work okay? I may now delay our upgrade and wait till Exact addresses the issue.
John

Just got a reply from support. I had to rename the P:\macola75 folder P:\mac75 and go to the PWE icon and change the path. I got in fine. I am now going to update to SPA. Will keep you posted. I do not have the SPB CD yet.

Donna

I had a ton of problems at several sites going from 75103f, 76100a or 76200/5 to 76300. In some cases, I opted to do a new install, recreate users, security, screens & forms & had a much better outcome. Since macola has changed the basics on these so much & they've added files in 103d & now in 300/a/b since the initial product offering, I think it is worth rebulding from the bottom up. Much as a PC needed to be rebuilt every 6 months or so in the win95 days. I don't think it's as bad now, but knowing you were on the vanilla code with the new MF Cobol (dll based) compiler is a good way to get a fresh look at where you are at.

As far as the 76300b SP, a couple of things. Support for your existing pervasive ended 12/31/04, so no testing was done after spa, therefore I wouldn't touch spb until you upgrade pervasive to 8.6. spb was out & pulled off the web within days of its release. I wouldn't try to go past spa until we hear through the grapevine that b is stable.

In general, I have had fewer upgrade problems wiht sql sites than pervasive, other than a niggling search problem in sql sites in some modules.

Spb has been out since May 19th (based on the file date on the download page) and so far there's only one Hot Topic for it with it not overwriting a handful of ICR reports.

I have it running at a few clients that I've upgraded and haven't had any issues yet. I've upgraded from both a 7.6.200.5 install and a 7.6.300 install.

Kevin Scheeler

Just completed 7.6.300 SPA, no problems. I have four clients installed and need to install two more.

thanks for tip of PSQL. The new version they sent me is 8.5, not 8.6. Is there another later version I need to request?

Thanks
Donna

You have to download 8.6 from pervasive's website. There are many issues related to the initial release of macola spb, which forced one of my reseller buddies to go back to a. spb was off the web for about 5 days in mid-late May, so I don't consider it a solid release at all. I'm anxiously awaiting the peak commissions enhancements working as in best oe before I upgrade an existing client to 76300+. they were supposed to be included in spb.

Kevin, I'm sure you are aware that not all "bugs" are available on infomine. I've got a couple handful of fixes for problems in 76200+ that you can't find on the web. You have to call macola to get the corrections which will be available in the "next release". We're back to regression programming just like the transition from macola v6 to v7.

I think if 76300a works for your clients, it might be a good place to stop until the dust settles from whatever exact is trying to do with the peak standard enhancements. Since peak did such a great job over the years & there are actually peak programmers at exact now, they may get it right, eventually.

As with any release, you will have people that have had good luck with it and ones that have or find issues because of the differences of how each client uses the product.

I only have 3 clients that have or currently use the Peak enhancements so the enhancements that Exact included in 7.6.300 have been fine.

Kevin Scheeler

So if you do not have any type of enhancements (just vanilla Macola) it should be ok to go ahead and upgrade to SPB.
Is that a correct statement?

I have a couple of customers on spB already. No problems if you do not have enhancements.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back