Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with 3rd memory slot on my MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyD2112

Technical User
Aug 17, 2003
US
Hi guys,

Hope you can help me out here.

I just bought a MB / CPU combo. FIC VC19 and a P4 2.5 chip.
Everything seems to be working fine, except the 3rd memory slot on the MB. I have a 512mb (slot 1) and 256mb (slot 2) and the computer operates fine with that config. As soon as I add the second 256mb (slot 3) the computer will not boot.

RAM is PC2100

At first, it would load with 1 gig of memory, but it only showed that I had 768mb total. Is this a flaw in this particular MB? OR is my 3rd slot bad?

Stuck....
-Mike

so your saying it loaded with a gig but only reads 768 now? Sounds like your memory might be bad. Try different combonations of the ram together to verify a bad chip. ie. 2x 256 512 x 256a 512 x 256b.

If the ram is good try swapping the ram chips in different slots to make sure it isn't just a particular chip configuration on the 3 slots.

Also is your ram completely identical...brand, ecc, non-parity? or do you have different types? Don't know if this makes that much of a difference but you want to keep your ram identical to each other as much as possible

The RAM is all different brands. That could be it....
I will try swapping the RAM out in different slots. Maybe the 2 256mb sticks do not like each other.

However, on my last MB (a7v333) Asus, I ran the same configuration and the board recognized the 3 sticks as a gig. I was curious as to whether or not there was somthing tricky that needed to be done with my specific MB.

I'll let you know how the trouble shooting goes.

Thanks,
Mike

Yes, even though it worked on one motherboard, doesn't mean it will work on all others.

Some motherboards are extremely picky about densities. Some memory modules are denser than others, although they may be the same amount. That's generally why you want to stay with one brand that has been approved or tested with your mobo.

You can see an example of what I'm talking about in this recent thread:
thread602-628022

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back