Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems w/ SP1 already!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremybarker

Technical User
Mar 4, 2002
US
I'm trying to apply windows xp sp1 through windows update. It downloads fine, but when given the option to backup my current files for removal of sp1 later, I get an error message saying that "Service Pack 1 Setup canceled". Has anyone else seen this problem? I'm working on a small network at home, my version of xp is legal. I have tried both the express version through windows update and I dl the network version outside of windows update, same error.

If proxy is enabled - the download will not complete

Thanks linney, I'm glad I'm not alone :) Those posts describe my error to the T, will keep checking that post and will post here if they or I figure out whats causing this.

Just to update...keeping an eye on the link linney provided, someone there posted an idea about restoring xp to its original spyware version. I had manually uninstalled two dll's that allow microsoft to periodically "check in" with you. Those dll's are c:\windows\system32\regwizc.dll and c:\windows\system32\licdll.dll After registering them, I was able to install SP1 with no problem. The link to the post that had that info follows:

the registering of those two dll's made mine work! don't remember unregistering them tho....but cool! maybe this is the problem for everyone....yeah right?

Keep this in mind. Should you actually find yourself needing to roll back a service pack, the problem is probably already out of hand and rolling back probably wont help. In my experience, Windows simply doesnt have a "reverse" in the gearbox if you will. That is unless you're specifically trained to do so. You might just opt to not back up the old install. BEHOLD! As Steve Jobs introduces us the latest in desk-lamp technology!

Keep this in mind. Should you actually find yourself needing to roll back a service pack, the problem is probably already out of hand and rolling back probably wont help. In my experience, Windows simply doesnt have a "reverse" in the gearbox if you will. That is unless you're specifically trained to do so. You might just opt to not back up the old install. BEHOLD! As Steve Jobs introduces us the latest in desk-lamp technology!

You can also pull down the whole sp1 as a network install, burn it to disk and the proxy shouldn't matter. "Be all and you'll be to end all.
Life can be a real ball.
State of mind!"

Check if you have system restore enabled.
I saw the same problem if server service is not running and SP1 can't perform a restore location.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back