Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems w/ reinstalled XP Pro on replacement HD. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpochoda

Technical User
Dec 5, 2004
US
I have an HP dv5000 and just had to replace the HD and the screen cable. I reinstalled XP Pro from the original disk. First, the display properties dialog box doesn't give me all the options I had before. Second, .jpg files display in the wrong aspect ration, almost 1 to 1, height width, so everything looks squashed. Third, it didn't create a D: restore partition. (I guess I could have done that myself, but would need to know what to put in it. HP did that for me in the original setup.) Fourth, there's no Enable Hibernation option on Power Setting, the way there used to be.

I suspect there's more that I just haven't come across yet and that it's all aspect of the setup I used. HP no longer supports XP, so I can't get help from them. Any thoughts?

Check there website for the latest drivers, for everything on the laptop. I think the DV5000 uses an nvidia video chip? So you could go to nvidia.com and download the 7400 go drivers for xp, and see if that helps, but a lot of times, you have to use the drivers provided by the manufacturer because of some firmware tweaks they may have on the chipset, and the oem drivers, look and work like crap. may have to manually set the display settings in properties.

Sounds like you are missing most drivers. So go the Hp site and download them from the page for your PC.

As for the recovery partition, if you used a regular XP install CD then no recovery partition is made, that is manufacturer only deal.

You would =need the original Manufacturer installation disc for that.

Or manually do it as you said.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Thanks. It was missing drivers. (Why didn't I think of that?) After reading your posts, I searched way down in my stack of disks and found an Application and Driver Recovery DVD. Never knew I had one.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back