Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems Visio2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mijjoiji

IS-IT--Management
May 15, 2001
SE
Hi!
I´ve got problems repacking the Visio2002 msi file. Everyting is working out fine, the package is deployed on the server and the shortcut is advertised and the installation process is successful. When a default user runs the app the install is also successful but, some things is not working as they should do. The reason for this is that a default user can´t write into HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT (the same problem as with Visio2000 I suppose). Is there anyone out there who can solve this, anyone...?..!

Best Regards

/Jim

The problem with visio is that it runs custom action visio32.exe /u and visio32.exe /s to (un)registrate visio.
A default user don't have access to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.
You can give change prissions for a default user.

A nother workaround is that u exclude the custom acctions.
using a MST file. After installing Visio create a setup capture by running visio32.exe /R. if u add this futures to the MST file, visio must work fine.

Hi!
First of all thanks for your reply! Are you sure this visio32.exe action applys to Visio2002 aswell as Visio2000? I can´t find the file nor the custom action.(Am I looking for the right custom action?)

Best regards
Jim

You must do allinstall as Admin user or use Elevated priviledges, the MSI works fine, why re-package it you are dicing with death repackaging a MS App, you willget no support if you break the install.

I "2nd" what madongolf says.

All Microsoft .msi based applications - right out of the box - run correctly for a standard user. There should be no need to customize rights on any directory or registry key, unless: 1. the original .msi has been altered 2. the installation has been recaptured and recompiled into a non-Microsoft .msi

The only thing that should be done with Visio 2002 is for an administrative installation point to be created. If I remember correctly, Visio can then be customized by creating a transform using the appropriate Office Custom Installation tool.

I once experimented and tested the recapturing a troublesome non-Microsoft .msi. The more I tested, the more I found was broken. Resist the temptation to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back