Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems Using Sendto from Word to Notes 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

spi200

IS-IT--Management
Jun 9, 2002
AU
Hi

I am having troubles getting the "SendTo Mail Recipient" from Word 97. All I get is mail being sent to Windows Messsaging instead of Notes. I carn't seem to get Notes to be the default, tryed the setting in IE5.5 as well.
Is their a way to tell Notes\Windows\Word what is the Default mail client, as I blieve Notes has a Mapi Client.
If I uninstall Windows Messaging then I lose the Icon "Mail Recipient" in Word. We run Notes Release V5.0.10 and NT4.0SP6

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Mary Xmas to all

David

Assuming you are indeed using Office 97, then try this:
1. Start by opening Internet Explorer, which has settings that you'll need. On the top toolbar, choose TOOLS--INTERNET OPTIONS. At the pop-up window choose the PROGRAMS tab. Under it, set your email to LOTUS NOTES. OK the change.

2. Now open Notes. On the toolbar up top choose FILE--PREFERENCES--USER PREFERENCES. The pop up window that displays should be set on the BASICS icon to your left. If so, look to the large field called ADDITIONAL OPTIONS. Scroll back and forth through this list until you find "Enable MS Office 97 SendTo to Notes". Click on that like to checkmark/enable it. OK the change. You may have to restart Notes or even your computer to finalize everything.

That should get Office SendTo to work with Notes. We've had success with it, but a few problems as well. Every so often one of the user's computer will inexplicably drop the enabling checkmark or otherwise refuse to work. I've yet to find an answer for those few. Also I don't think this works with more current versions of Office, though Domino 6 might have adjusted for that.

Thanks for the reply, but I am missing the folowing line in Notes.

"Enable MS Office 97 SendTo to Notes".

Any Idea's why it might disappear.

Thanks for the reply, but I am missing the folowing line in Notes.

Enable MS Office 97 SendTo to Notes

Any Idea's why it might disappear.

I personally have two computers at my desk, both with Notes 5.0.10. One has Office 97, the other has Office 2000. (Had to have this because MS Access 97 and MS Access 2000 screw each other up.) The Office 97 computer does have the line "Enable MS Office 97 SendTo to Notes". The other does not.
I've seen these configurations dozens of times in my company. As a result, the only time I've not seen the "Enable MS Office 97 SendTo to Notes" is if the Office suite is not Office 97. Making a guess from that, I'd speculate that perhaps there is some component of MS Office on the computer that is not 97. I've seen some computer that have say, Office 97 but installed Word 2000 with it. Or perhaps there are some that have Word 97 but with MS Works. Configurations like that would be the first thing for which I'd look. If I had a second guess without knowing the particular computer, I'd try to figure out if the Office 97 was installed AFTER the Lotus product was installed. That may have prevented certain triggers from installing the option you need.

I have also a problem similar.
In fact I have done what is explained above, it works with Word but I can not use this method with Excel ? I have an error (1004) It does not even create a Notes message

Notes 5.0.2c
Office 97
NT4 SP3

Thanks for your help

As odd as this may sound go to preferences\user preferences\basics and check the line that reads mark documents read when opened in a preview pane. I am running W2k with Lotus 5.0.10 and only when I check this line can I get Notes to come up when sending mail from word.

Investigating and fixing this problem was my job with the helpdesk team this December. Outlook 97 must be installed before Lotus Notes. If it was, when the original image was created, then the "Enable MS Office 97 SendTo to Notes" option will appear. If the option is checked while Office is reinstalled the option will disappear, but Lotus Notes will still be the default. If Office was installed before Notes the only way I have been able to get the option to appear was to uninstall notes uninstall office, use regedit to clear the registry of all related keys, and then delete all extraneous files left behind. Next reinstall Office97 then Notes.
In case of improper installation order an easier fix is to configure the Outlook MAPI service. You will create a profile that uses the Lotus Notes information service. If the Lotus Notes information service is not available, and your company uses Office 97, then unistall Lotus Notes install Outlook97 then reinstall Lotus Notes (the unintall programs suffice here). The following link is the most helpful for MAPI setup:

For Office 2000 users: The Lotus Notes information service is not available with mapi setup, use this link for the work around.
FYI: Microsoft claims Outlook2000 does not support Lotus Notes information service in this link.

Excellent information alcanhelpdesk, and a cool tip on the quirky fix, hayes47. I'll file both of these away for future use. Please accept a star each.

Hi
Thanks for all the tips - I tryed the easy option Hayes47 has recomended and to my supprise It Worked.
Excelent stuff, thankyou very much.

Regards

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back