Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems trying to Map H:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overmyhead2

Programmer
Jun 5, 2000
US
For W98 workstations...My users home directory on the NT server is: \\server\home\BOB , \\server\home\SUE,..ect...
In the enviro.. Profile I have Connect H:
to \\server\home\%username% and I've tried \\server\home$\BOB, and \\server\home\bob .....
In the script I have
net use h: /home
After excuting, message say command completed successfully.
But it is mapped to \\server\home only.

At the dos prompt if I type.. net use H: /home
It maps properly to the username..
What is wrong? I want the script to map right.

Victoria

Look at it from the other angle and try this.
CONNECT H: to \\SERVERNAME\BOB$

Share the user folders under the server. Give Full control (or whatever) access to Admininstrators and the user only. This will provide security both for the user and for you. If anything happens in the user folder, there are only two persons who have access. You and the User.

If you do it this way the server should hard map the share under H: and you wont need an entry in the script at all.

Hope this helps.

You can connect to any network drive that's shared, either visible or hidden. But if you are using \\server\home\%username% to connect to %username% when it's not shared you will only get \\server\home, unless you share %username% in the home folder on the server.

Mubashir

Sometime you need to put quotes (") around the command if it's in a script. Try putting quotes around the command line.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back