Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems switching user - black screen on logging back in

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeBattery

Technical User
Aug 30, 2003
GB
I have 2 users on xp home (sp1). When I switch user I can go from my adminitstators account into the other limited account, however when I log off from the limited account my screen goes black and I can't do anything.

Are you waiting long enough? Sometimes this operation takes quite a while depending on your system.

I waited for about a minute, I have a 1.5ghz pentium 4 and 512mb memory on a 120gb 7200rpm drive, all defragemted.

That is strange. XP confuses me with this whole feature as XP is configured by default to drop to a screen saver and show the user logon display when I finally return to continue using it. I have a backup program that displays a message that the program is already running for another user and I should log off the pervious user before running the backup program. You said that you switched to another user and then log off of that same user and the black screen appears. Try selecting "switch user" as before back to your Admin logon, and see if the problem happens as well. Sounds like a bug in XP to me though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back