Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems Starting Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

marieannie

Programmer
Jan 14, 2004
US
Hello, I'm using Windows XP Home Edition in my computer. I don't know what happen but recently it doesn't start correctly. Appears the window that I can choose if I want to Start SAFE MODE, SAFE MODE WITH NETWORK SUPPORT, START NORMALLY, LAST BEST KNOW CONFIG..

I've tried all the options but didn't work. it looks like is going to start...but it returns me to the same screen.

And the weird thing is that sometimes it start correctly...
but this doesn't happen frequently.

Any suggestions????
Thanks!

This happened to me, and everytime, whatever I chose, it rebooted after a brief Blue Screen.

What you need is to choose the one with something like "Command Prompt" in it (perhaps "Safe Mode with Command Prompt"), and then run chkdsk. One of your core System Files has become corrupt and is usually fixable.

Try it and tell me if it works.

It doesn't let me start using that option... Should I use a Bootable floppy disk?

Yes, try that. If it is an XP Boot Disk, use Chkdsk

If it is a 98/ME Boot Disk, use Scandisk.

It should fix it, if not, report back.

Some things to try.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

Try running ChkDsk /r from the Recovery Console. Also look at FixBoot and FixMbr while in Recovery Console.

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

How to Use System Files to Create a Boot Disk to Guard Against Being Unable to Start Windows XP (Q314079)

Q305595 - HOW TO: Create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back