Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems setting homedrive and homepath

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelu

MIS
Oct 15, 2002
US
I am attempting to setup a shared Windows XP system and I am having trouble getting the %HOMEDRIVE% and %HOMEPATH% to work correctly for a network drive. I have had this working fine with Windows NT and with 2000, but with XP it only works correctly every other time you login. When it does not work, it will be set to a local drive. The reason I want these environment variables set is because ProEngineer uses these setting.

For each user I have a login script to mount the network drive such as:

net use H: /DELETE /YES
net use H: <\\kshud00\raid>

In the domain account profile the HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH get set by an entry in the Home Directory, Local Path section such as:

H:\21\tutor

I do not use the Connect entry in the Home Directory section of the domain account profile, because I want H: mounted to <\\kshud00\raid>, not <\\kshud00\raid\21\tutor>.

I would like to know if anyone has tried to do something similar to the above, and if they have had any success.

I have learned that if I do not delete the H: drive, in the login script, before the mount, the HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH will work every time. That may be okay, but to be sure that H: is mounted correctly, I would prefer to delete any old mounts. I have also tried to SET HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH in the login script, but that does not work either. I have several shared systems including NT, 2000, and now XP and I need it to work for a number of users.

I did try roaming profiles several years ago, but at the time, it would not always work because the network was sometimes to slow.

Did you ever figure this out? We have a mixed base of XP and win2k Clients and our BDC and DC are windows 2000 server servers running SP4 each - we use active directory users and computers and use the home drive on the user profile method to connect to the h:\ drive..sometimes they map and other times they don't - I can not figure out why??

net use * /Delete /Persistent:No

The other necessary "trick" is explained in the last paragraph of faq779-4017

Bill Castner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back