Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems sending messages to one domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

richwilks

Vendor
Nov 28, 2005
GB
We have one customer who has a Windows NT 4.0 server running service pack 6a. We have Exchange server 5.5 SP2 installed on the server and it receives and send email with no problems at all apart from to one domain.

Emails sent to this domain hold in the Outbound awaiting delivery queue and hang there. If we restart the IMS then the mail goes from this queue and either gets delivered or we get a bounce back to the orginal sender saying that the mail had reached the maximum timeout rate.

Has anyone experienced any problems like this before?

I'd be grateful to hear of any possible solutions you may have.

If all other email is being delivered, I would say the problem is at the other end. Have you tried to telnet to the email server on the other end?

telnet <domain.com> 25

=====================================
The good ole days weren't always good
and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems

I have spoken to the people at the other end and they are receiving all other mail fine, I haven't acutally tried Telnetting the server but I will give that a go.

They seem to have no other problems and outgoing mail works perfectly as does incoming at the other end. It just seems that when our customer attempts to send anything to that site it just hangs in the outbound queue.

Like I have said restarting the Internet Mail Service delivers the mail but the custmoer is not happy about having to so that every time they want to send mail to this organisation.

Seems strange to me that the IMS sends it after being started otherwise it just sits in the queue. I have tried sending mail to the recipient using our own NT4, Exchange 5.5 system and have no problems.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Next time instead of restarting IMS, try the "Retry Now" button when looking in the IMS queue. Remember to hit "Refresh" a few times. It sounds like there is an intermittent communication problem with this host. You can also look at the Details of these emails in the queue. Generally it will say something like "Host Unreachable". This might give you a clue to what might be going on.

The good ole days weren't always good
and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems

I'll get the details of the email and let you know.

We have tried clicking retry now several times but it still hangs in the queue.

Thanks for your help so far.

Yeah they are getting Host Unreachable. Seems strange because when the mail service is restarted it goes fine. It is a valid address, all other mail seems to go fine.

Any more help would be very much appreciated.

I have this exact same error with one site. If I telnet to them "telnet idcmail.shaw.ca 25" I get this message:

Your IP is presently being blocked, Please call your ISP for assistance.

Does this means we are blacklisted by Shaw.ca? If so I am not sure why. Someone may be spoofing our address but there are no viruses being sent by our organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back