Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems running a scheduled task when not logged on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sielah

Programmer
Oct 9, 2007
CA
I'm having problems with the setup of a Windows task, and I think I need some expert input.

The task runs a 10 line VB script. The script in turn runs the Entrust Password Unprotect utility. The utility does not seem to have a silent command line mode, so always displays a dialog where you have to select the file to be decrypted, enter the password and press OK. The script is designed to automate this whole process.

The task is set to run under my own Windows account. This has full Admin rights to the server.

When I manually invoke the task, everything works fine. When I set the task to run at a specific time, and stay logged in to the server to watch, everything works fine. When I automate the task to run at a specific time, and log out of the server, the task hangs at the point where the dialog form for the Entrust utility should display.

Is this because Windows can't handle the display and processing of the dialog form when I am not actually logged in? Is it even possible to have something like this run automatically on the server with no user intervention? Is there some kind of setting on the task that needs to be switched on to allow this to work properly?

Our server is running Windows 2003 SP2.

Any expert advice much appreciated as always!

Did you check 'Interacts with the desktop' setting?

HTH

I think this is available for a Windows Service only - not for a Scheduled Task.

I can switch the option on for the Task Scheduler service, but I don't think this will help, as it's not the scheduler that needs to interact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back