Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems Restoring using Bootable CD Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

cg123

Technical User
Nov 5, 2003
GB
Using Arcserve 2000 Advanced Edition v7
with Arcserve Base Product SP4, DR SP4 and Tape Engine Update on a Compaq Proliant

I have successfully created a Bootable CD-rom and Machine Specific Floppy. I am now testing DR by recovering the same server. I am not having any luck in getting it to restore properly. Has anyone had any success or the same problems. I can get get the operating system back (Win 2000 Server) but when it attempts to restore the data it does not ask for the latest backup tape but the backup previous to creating the DR bootkit. Can anyone help please. I can get the Tape Restore to work but it does take its time.

I am using a fastore 22 dlt tape drive. Tapes in slot4, 7, 8 are giving problems. The picker cannot get the tapes out of the drives. I have used other tapes as well.

the machine specific disk retains information of the last full backup prior to creating the disk. It sounds like you may have run another backup after creating the machine specific disk. If this is the case, there is no easy way of using the latest tape. For remote machines this is generally not a problem as you can just recreate the machine specific disk. For the local machine you can only do this if ARCserve was keeping a copy of the DR information on a remote server (it can be set up to do this).

Fritz,

You have pointed out the problem..
However after you apply DR for SP4 for ARCserve 2000, it installs a utility called DRSCanSession.exe .
What it does is, it allows you to update create a new Machine Specific Disk during the recovery procedure.

You could try this.. instruction should be in the DR installation folder onthe ARcserve machine..

CHeers
Speshalyst

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

Thanks for the reply, that is exactly what we did. We wanted to use the bootable cd-rom method because we thought it would be quicker than the dlt tape method (quicker to read off the bootable cd than reading off the dlt tape when copying win 2000 files) Do you know or anyone know if there is a workaround where we dont have to create a machine specific floppy after each backup is made? What do you think is the best option? (Have not tried the floppy disk method yet.) We know the DLT tape method works though takes about 3/4 hours approx though. we are looking at cutting the downtime.

If not will look into keeping the DR information on a remote machine. Would prefer not to do this way as we are trying to cover the worst scenario where we are not relying on a remote machine.
Thanks in advance
cg

I have the same problem, did naybody find a solution to restoring without the machine specific floppy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back