Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problems receiving calls on Nortel Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbsadmin

Technical User
Aug 19, 2009
US
Hello,

I'm in IT but have limited telephony experience, can someone point me in the right direction as to where to start troubleshooting? thanks

we are using a Norstar Modular ICS

problem:

We can make calls from specific phones in the office, but cannot call them directly from an external line, (a cell phone), we get dead air. We can call out from these phones without a problem. We can call the main line (front desk #) without problems, however every other phone when called from an outside line produces dead air, no dial tone, no tone at all. I verified the sets are assigned to and set to appr&ring on valid lines but my knowledge ends there. Not sure but could this be a bad module on the MICS?

thanks in advance,

-Andy

What kind of lines? Copper (Loop) or PRI?

What verison sofwtare? Maintenance/System Version/SP code needed.

Off the bat sounds like PRI and that target lines not programmed with recieved digits.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

thanks for the reply,

Here's what I found on the MICS

Cards on KSU:

Cd1-KSU:Loop
Cd2-KSU:Loop

Mod 03:StnMod
Mod 04:TrunkMod

Cd3-Mod4:Loop
Cd2-Mod4:DID
Cd1-Mod4:DID

System Version:

SP: 30BwE02 NAT

You have 6.0 software.

Copper DID's

Try looking at taeget line 145 or up, in each targe line you need to program the recieved digits, this can be 4 to 10 digits long, look at your main number...probably line 145.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

Okay,

I checked a target line, line #164, which is assigned a 4 digit number already ( Rec'd #:6687 )

my set #228 is assigned line #164, however when I call 228 from another internal set ( 225 for example ) I get dead air, also the same result when calling 6687 from another internal set.

the preprogrammed autodial buttons on my phone that are assigned the other extensions in the office work.

I'm not sure what's not being routed to what

Quote:
however when I call 228 from another internal set ( 225 for example ) I get dead air

Do you mean you intercom 228 and get dead air? thats is very odd.

Quote:
also the same result when calling 6687 from another internal set.

You need to dial out through line pool and the full 10 digit number.....it's not Centrex.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

As to the internal dialing issue- Press feature * 0, then intercom on the sets in question to verify their dn's. Sometimes phones get moved around, and extensions do not match records.

When dialing one of the "dead air" sets internally, what shows on the display?

I confirmed the DNs match the sets I'm trying to test on, thanks.

Okay using the intercom to dial another set works. Picking up the receiver to dial a set doesn't. The problem with accessing these sets from an external line remains, any ideas?

We were assigned a DID range from 6681-6688 and none seem to work.

thanks,

What does the following mean exactly?

"Okay using the intercom to dial another set works. Picking up the receiver to dial a set doesn't."

-Are you pressing the intercom keys when lifting receiver to dial another set?

-Also with copper DID's you should be able to go on the DID trunks with a butt set, dial the 4 digit received number and ring the appropriate set.

Sounds like the sets are programmed for prime line to be a pool or line.That happens when you pick up the reciver you would then have to press an IC button then dial another extention. If you program it for prime line to be IC then you would either dial internal or the access code (9) for external.

Yes I'm pressing the intercom key while lifting the receiver to dial another set. Initially I tried directly dialing the set # (pick up the receiver, press 225 etc) and that didn't work

thanks for the info cook1082.

We are having a telecom provider look at this issue friday, they believe the problem could be a bad DID trunk cartridge

this was resolved by replacing the DID trunk cartridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back