Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems re-installing Win2000 Pro - need to recover data

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHatwell

MIS
Jul 29, 2002
US
Help someone! I recently tried to load some networking software on my laptop (which has been running Win2000 Pro for over a year now - with no problems) and it screwed up all my dial-up protocols and other connections. I tried several things and finally things got bad so I tried repairing my Win2000 Pro installation from the original CD. Now I get stuck during the setup phase. As it tries to identify all equipment (keyboard, mouse, etc.) I get halfway and setup stops, I get a quick flash of a blue screen, and my laptop re-boots. It then begins setup again and the process repeats itself. What can I do? All my data is on the hard drive, so I don't want to re-format. I just want to repair my Win2000 Pro installation to as close as it was.

There are a couple of ways to tackle this, the best course of action is to get it to stop automatically rebooting when the error occurs. That way you can determin what the problem is and deal with that. Unfortunatly stopping windows from automatically rfebooting requires that you edit the registry. Can you boot into safe mode? If so boot into safe mode. When logged in click on start then run and type regedit, click on ok and the registry editor will appear on the screen. Browse to the following key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl

Double click on the key and change the value to 0 instead of 1.

Then reboot your machine, you will have to repeat the process that you have been going through but when the error appears this time take a note of the message and post back on this forum if you require further help.

If you cannot boot into safe mode then post back here and we will look into other ways of editing the information.

Thanks - you're a lifesaver just for replying...but, I can't get into safe mode. I press F8 and it gives me the option to boot in safe mode, etc., it does give me the Safe mode text in each corner but then that disappears and then setup continues (it took a while to get going) and I end up back with it at the 'Installing Devices" part (just the same as when I don't select Safe mode). The progress bar gets along about 30% before the machine gives me the blue STOP screen and mentions something about BAD_POOL_CALLER. The screen disappears so quickly I can't read the rest because the machine automatically re-boots.

I've downloaded (onto another machine) the latest set of Win2000 drivers for the laptop with the problems, but how can I get them installed when Setup won't complete? Can I do this through the Recovery Console and then pray?

I've been into the Recovery Console and I do see that my directory structure and data files (from just a quick look) appear to be intact. That's something.

One other result is that if I let the machine reboot after the blue screen, let it boot normally, then I get another blue screen with a STOP: 0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0xED324DC7, 0x00000000, 0x00000004) KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

I've tried updating the BIOS to the latest and greatest, but no joy there either.

Any more help would be fantastic!

iam attempting to reload win2k on a raid 5 system. when i elect to rewrite over the existing winnt file the system states that it cannot copy any of the files from the cd rom.
Help

Take your hard drive out of the computer
disconect the cdrom on the second computer connect the hard drive to the computer2 using EIDE2 which the cdrom run of
on the main drive of computer2 make a directory call my work all you have to do copy D: to C:\my work
Do not touch the jumper setting
WE have done this take you time please
I know a good bit about IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back