Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems printing in different ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlaakso

Programmer
Mar 13, 2002
ES
I programm with Clipper 5.3b and blinker 5.10.
I have a net of computers working with Novell4.11 and some of them with Windows98 SE. Until today all of the workstations had one local printer. Some days later I installed a parallel card in one computer in order to have two local printers. When I try to do the ‘SET PRINTER TO LPT2’ it keeps trying to create a file named LPT2.PRN. So it shows an error message. It’s not a privilege question, it’s that you cannot create a file with that name. The problem is that the app. does not recognize LPT2 as a port. All the computers work with the app in the HD, and data is on the server (Novell). The only exception is my computer. When I programm I have both app and data in my HD. Then the sentence ‘SET PRINTER TO LPT2’ works fine. If I try to work with data on the net with my computer it also fails. I’ve tried "dir >d:lpt2" from DOS and it works. I need help !!!
I’ve read something about reseting the port but I don’t know how to do that.

Hi tlaakso,

I assume the parallel card you installed has just one port. If so, it will be LPT1 on the workstation (that can be changed if needed). Capture the network printer as LPT2 then you can print to both or either. You may need to juggle the descriptions to get it the way you want it but this should work. You can map the printer in Novell with a capture command in the log-in script, or just capture at the workstation in the printer properties dialog box. It's not difficult, once you see it you will understand. Also, you can define your own port (in the same dialog) for use with either the network print server or your local printer.

Hope this helps,
David Tracy.

The problem is not capturing ports. I have two local printers (none of them is a network printer). One LPT1 and one LPT2.
The problem is changing the port from the clipper app.
I can use both printers from Windows applications but not from the app.

Hi Tlaakso,

If the DOS commands works, the appli. should also work.

But i didn't understand the command dir > d:lpt2, why d:.

does dir > lpt2 work ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back