Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems Opening Illustrator files with InDesign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epipolemic

Technical User
Apr 20, 2007
US
I'm new to using InDesign and so I'm trying to create layouts using existing files. But when I place an illustrator .ai file with indesign, it becomes pixilated and un-editable. Am I going through the process incorrectly, or can you only view these files and images? Like I said, this is the first time I have ever used Indesign, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

On the pixelated: Go to view menu/display preformance and pick High. This view setting can also ve set as default in preferences.

Editing: Window Menu and select Links. Click on the AI file that shows in this window and go to the flyout menu and select Edit Original.

You cannot directly edit imported pics in Indesign. You can edit vector drawings that were (rarely) created in Indiesign.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Not sure if this works in the Mac OS (since I use WinXP OS), but you can edit vector illustrator native files in InDesign if you have Illustrator file open and copy it, then paste it directly in the InDesign document. then it can be ungrouped and edited in ID.

Pixelchick - yes that works on a mac, and a lifesaver it is for me nearly every day.

I have a corporate design element whose colour changes according to the project. It used to be such a nuisance to decide on a colour for this element, then have to go back to AI to convert the element into its chosen colour, and then replace in ID. Once I found I could copy and paste -- and then EDIT -- the AI graphic in ID, I now keep the object as a snippet - pull it into my ID doc and directly use ID's colour palette to fill it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back