Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems on Server 2000 with Terminal Services EVENTS are nonstop

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRS46

Technical User
Aug 4, 2005
US
I AM GONG TO CROSS POST THIS IN THE WK3 FORUM TOO.

Hello fellow warriors. I have a Windows Server 2000 SPK4 acting as a termnial server with the domain controller and Licensing Server being Windows Small Business Server 2003. The users are constantly being disconnected from the terminal services sessions and the sofware application that runs on Accessruntime that is generating the last error.

I have explored each event in Microsoft and either I have already done what they say, or the fix doesn't coincide with my environment (i.e an known MacAfee error when there is no MacAfee preseont.).

NOTE: The microsoft fix for the last error doesn't seem to work. I dont' know if its an application problem, a TS licensing issue, or some other network problem, but it's constant and affects everyone.

If you guys have any suggestions as to where you would start out, please let me know. There is another application that is running on Small Business Server 2003 that is also experiencing some drops and hangs.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: LicenseService
Event Category: None
Event ID: 213
Date: 3/25/2006
Time: 8:12:45 AM
User: N/A
Computer: DCSSA_BACKUP
Description:
Replication of license information failed because the License Logging Service on server \\DCSSA-2850 could not be contacted.
Data:
0000: 22 00 00 c0 "..

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event ID: 1000
Date: 3/25/2006
Time: 7:58:29 AM
User: DCSSA-2K3\Administrator
Description:
Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects . A message that describes the reason for this was previously logged by this policy engine.

Event Source: Winlogon
Event ID: 1009
Date: 3/23/2006
Time: 11:43:04 PM
User: N/A
Description:
The NT Smartcard authentication certificate store could not be updated. (0x8007006e) The system cannot open the
device or file specified.
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event ID: 10005
Date: 3/24/2006
Time: 7:44:00 AM
User: DCSSA-2K3\dpdntl20
Description:
Product: Microsoft Access 2000 Runtime -- Some default settings in Microsoft Access 2000 Runtime setup do not work properly on a Windows Terminal Server. To install Access Runtime on Terminal Server, you must use the instructions and tools available in your Office 2000 Resource Kit or at Data:
0000: 7b 30 30 31 38 30 34 30 {0018040
0008: 39 2d 37 38 45 31 2d 31 9-78E1-1
0010: 31 44 32 2d 42 36 30 46 1D2-B60F
0018: 2d 30 30 36 30 39 37 43 -006097C
0020: 39 39 38 45 37 7d 998E7}

Larry S.
Systems & Network Consultant

Ternminal services is a total pain. Have you got enough licences? Make sure that none have been taken twice or more by the same machine. I have issues with TS licencing at the moment as well & have machines that are taking two or more licences.

Yes, I have 30 Win 2003 and unlimited 2000.

I just can't seem to find a solution even though it was Microsoft suggested this configuration. Doh!!!

I prefer Citrix but I inherited this mess. I am trying to make it liveable.

Larry S.

Have you looked at trhe terminal services licensing section & checked that all the licences haven't been used? Check that each client only has one licence.
I much prefer Citrix, but you still need terminal services licences to use it. MS have got you all ways.

Yes,

I have 30 licenses but only 9 users so far. They all get bumped off so they are not adding users until we find the issue.

Larry S.

I responded over in the 2k3 forum... but you have more info here.

I think that it is because you dont have any 2k TS LICs. My understanding is that 2k TS lics and 2k3 TS lics are not one and the same.

If your running a 2k TS server you must have 2k TS cals.

What OS are the clients running?
We also have unlimited 2k TS cals, but this won't help. You need 2k3 licences if you are connecting to a 2k3 server through TS. Have the clients that are being kicked off ever connected to the server?
The nine licences that have been taken should have a client host name next to them, can these machines connect?

The nine used are Wk3 and they can connect but eventually get bumped off. The can reconnect but it's a merry go round. I just can't seem to isolate the issue but it seems that it is related to these events.

The event that bugs me most is the event 1000 that says that it cannot query the GPO. AD is not running on the 2k TS machine. It is on the W2k3 machine.

Larry S.

Two answers I left off.

The clients are mostly XP Pro but some are 2000 Pro.

About the licenses, MS tech document says that the licenses for Wk3 are backwards compatible. The configuration I am running is configured based on MS recommendation.

Larry S.

Yes, the licences are backwards compatable. You could run a Windows 98 client & still get a licence. I am wondering if you problem lies in the fact that your TS machine is running 2k & not 2k3.
I know it is not recommended to run TS on a domain controler, but this how I have it running & have never had this problem.

Your points are good. The domain controller is a Small Business Server and you do not have the option of Application Mode Terminal Services since it HAS to be the domain controller.

We have two relatively new computers that have W2K on them. I pulled down a tech article from Microsoft that describes using TS on 2K with SBS 2003. It's been set up accordingly.

I reinstalled the server and all necessary applications and all the above errors cleared but new ones with similiar issues (except for the Microsoft OFfice error) reappear, but far less often.

As best I could tell, the Office error was caused by a bad .dll file somewhere. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling TS and OFFICE, but no worky. When I removed and reinstalled everything from the ground up, things are much better. I get the TS errors, but I am not aware of anyone dropping off.

Larry S.

What version of Office are you using?
What server version did you install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back