Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems moving 30GB HDD to 80 using Drive Image in XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackburnKL

Programmer
Oct 21, 2002
US
I am running XP Pro on a FAT32 30GB Western Digital hard drive in an AMD 1.1GHz machine with 768MB RAM. I want to move it to an 80GB Western Digital drive in the same machine.

I have attempted the move using Power Quest Drive Image (both 2002 and 7). I get wierd results. The 80GB hard drive boots, but freezes at the log screen just before the login screen.

If I put the 30GB drive in as a slave, the system will boot, but in disk management, it shows the 80GB drive as healthy C: (Page File) and the old disk as healthy D: (System). Am I wrong in concluding that Windows really booted from the slave drive? If it booted from C:, why does it boot with a slave, but hangs as a single drive (with the jumpers set accordingly)?

I've read that XP can't create FAT32 partitions larger than 32GB (but will work with them up to 4TB if created elsewhere. Does this limitation also apply to copying drives with Drive Image (or restoring an image through Drive Image)?

By the way, I get the same results on a 40GB hard drive as well.

Any ideas?

BlackburnKL

I will try that in the next few days (schedule is a little hectic right now). Thanks for the advice.

BlackburnKL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back